Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 sst bullets

243 sst bullets

Hi does any body use these 95 grain sst in there 243 ??

if so are any good and one last thing are they flat bottom or boattailed ???

Many thanks

ATB

Dave
    Last edited by 223; 06-11-2012 at 19:45.

I used to use these Im pretty sure they are flatbase

rob

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    Hi does any body use these 95 grain sst in there 243 ??

if so are any good and one last thing are they flat bottom or boattailed ???

Many thanks

ATB

Dave
    They are b/tail. I used them when I had my old sako forester. A good bullet choice.

nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    They are b/tail. I used them when I had my old sako forester. A good bullet choice.

nutty
    thats good as i like boat tails nice easy loading , ta

They are flat base. Im looking at one now!

My friend had loaded some up for testing. Our first outing on some fallow resulted in the bullet hitting the shoulder blade of a large buck and completely blewing up. The buck ran off on 3 legs. Luckily I actually came across it some weeks later, shot it with my 308, best thing really as it was out of condition and obvisouly hobbling about. I inspected its damaged leg where the SST had struck, it had all healed up, although lumpy and nodular. Unlucky I guess, just hitting it square on the shoulder blade, but having said that since then we have tried some standard privi soft points and we have shot bucks with bullets giving complete pass through square on the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    thats good as i like boat tails nice easy loading , ta
    They are very boat tailed and very little bearing surface which can make them a little finnicky to run properly, at least the 6.5mm are anyway.

P.S. there are lots of stories of these bullets failing, whether they are more prone to failing than other bullets I couldn't say.

very slippery round but not one I would use on deer unless specifically going out to head/neck shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    They are flat base. Im looking at one now!

My friend had loaded some up for testing. Our first outing on some fallow resulted in the bullet hitting the shoulder blade of a large buck and completely blewing up. The buck ran off on 3 legs. Luckily I actually came across it some weeks later, shot it with my 308, best thing really as it was out of condition and obvisouly hobbling about. I inspected its damaged leg where the SST had struck, it had all healed up, although lumpy and nodular. Unlucky I guess, just hitting it square on the shoulder blade, but having said that since then we have tried some standard privi soft points and we have shot bucks with bullets giving complete pass through square on the shoulder.

Design must have changed then. Even the Hornady site shows they are b/tailed. I never had a problem with them. Nor did the chap who put me onto them.

Nutty

Guys

A quick look at the Hornady website shows that they are flat based...

Just like they are in my manual...

Unless Hornady have changed them and not updated their site...