Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure inconsistent volume dispensed

  1. #1

    RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure inconsistent volume dispensed

    I am using the above powder measurer, and so far have been weighing out every dispensed load. I have the screw adjuster set to dispense light, then I trickle in until the balance hits my required weight. At the weekend I needed 70+ rounds for a competition so I tried to reload on volume rather than weight but couldn't seem to get a consistent volume dispensed. I am loading 41 grains of H4350, I keep the hopper at a reasonably consistent level and have what I believe is a consistent 'throw' - i.e. a tap at the top and bottom of each throw to hopefully be consistent in the amount dropped into the drum. I am using the standard adjustment screw, not the micrometer adjuster.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    I throw 0.5 grain to 1 grain under with my RCBS scales, then trickle up on an electronic scales. I have a metal baffle inserted,

    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/493...-powder-baffle

    but it doesn't seem to do much. There are better powder throwers, but I just throw under, then rely on the electronic scales. I use a pair of tweezers to throw the last kernel on or take a couple off.

    Best regards John

  3. #3
    I use one, to start with I found the same.
    I then added a home made baffle and mounted it rigidly and it improved no end.
    I have since added the proper baffle and now use a genuine Cast stand bolted to the bench and
    find it dispense loads so accurately that my RCBS 505 scales have never found an error, provided I
    keep the thing more than 1/3 full. So far I have dropped loads from 10 to 46 grains.

    Neil.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    [snip]
    At the weekend I needed 70+ rounds for a competition so I tried to reload on volume rather than weight but couldn't seem to get a consistent volume dispensed. I am loading 41 grains of H4350, I keep the hopper at a reasonably consistent level and have what I believe is a consistent 'throw' - i.e. a tap at the top and bottom of each throw to hopefully be consistent in the amount dropped into the drum. I am using the standard adjustment screw, not the micrometer adjuster.

    Any suggestions?
    Stop tapping. Every time you do that, you cause the powder to settle some more and in an inconsistent way. Stop doing it. Merely operate the lever smoothly and consistently. A variation of +/- 0.1 grain is the best you will achieve, and that's quite good enough.

    -JMS

  5. #5
    Thank you gentlemen, some food for thought there.
    I also find that the drum jams on the odd occasion. I have put his down to the drum being a close tolerance in the housing and a cylinder of the powder jamming, preventing a smooth operation.
    JMS - I will certainly stop tapping.

    Edit: Once I get over the inconsistency, is the micrometer adjuster worth getting?

  6. #6
    None of the coarse propellants meter through the thrower very accurately & will certainly require a trickler to top up.
    I've been using a uniflow for donkeys years and have never been able to meter H/IMR4350/4831/Rel.22 etc very closely. The powder does jam the cylinder frequently. Only the spherical propellants will meter to close tolerance.
    ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Thank you gentlemen, some food for thought there.
    I also find that the drum jams on the odd occasion. I have put his down to the drum being a close tolerance in the housing and a cylinder of the powder jamming, preventing a smooth operation.
    JMS - I will certainly stop tapping.

    Edit: Once I get over the inconsistency, is the micrometer adjuster worth getting?
    No. It won't help a bit. Installing card baffle will help but as was said, coarse powders just don't meter well.~Muir

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    No. It won't help a bit. Installing card baffle will help but as was said, coarse powders just don't meter well.~Muir
    Thanks Muir, saved me a few pounds!

  9. #9
    The "Jamming" being talked about is actually the drum shearing through the longer grains.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I use one, to start with I found the same.
    I then added a home made baffle and mounted it rigidly and it improved no end.
    I have since added the proper baffle and now use a genuine Cast stand bolted to the bench and
    find it dispense loads so accurately that my RCBS 505 scales have never found an error, provided I
    keep the thing more than 1/3 full. So far I have dropped loads from 10 to 46 grains.

    Neil.
    I've the same setup and with varget find most are spot on.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Rcbs uniflow powder measure
    By leec6.5 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-03-2012, 21:33
  2. *SOLD* Rcbs uniflow powder measure + base £65.00 collect
    By enfieldspares in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-07-2011, 19:47
  3. For Sale RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure
    By camo304 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 15:36
  4. For Sale RCBS uniflow powder measure in box
    By chrisc in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 13:40
  5. Wanted RCBS stand plate for Uniflow powder measure
    By kernel gadaffi in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 19:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •