Thread: The new rifle

The new rifle

I have up untill now been using a scoped Lee Enfield .303 fo rhunting. Nothing wrong with that or the rifle, but after last years weekend away
    where it rained solid for 3 days, I have been considering a new synthetic/ SS rifle.
    Now which rifle isn't too importatnt for me but the calibre choice is. I have always fancied a .375H&H and with a view to a trip to Africa 1 day why not. But I am also thinking that .308 is good enough for what I will be hunting, (red deer, elk size game).
    Question is should I follow my heart and go for the .375, or just be sensible and go for a calibre with a wider choice in rifles, cheaper ammo, cheaper reloading, etc.
    As an aside I will most likely be fitting a moderator to the new rifle.

Hopefully he responses will be based on similar expirience when other people have bought a new rifle, rather than turning this into a calibre debate.

Re: The new rifle

viking said

Question is should I follow my heart and go for the .375, or just be sensible and go for a calibre with a wider choice in rifles, cheaper ammo, cheaper reloading, etc.

I think you have answered your own question.

Have a look at the new Post under the "General Section" There are quite a few implications involving the .375.

Steve

I own all of the above mentioned calibers and like them all. Each has it's place and does the job at hand well. I am a huge fan of the 375 H&H and if you want one, go and get it.

The caveat to that is that if you do, you will typicaly be hauling around a rifle that is deliberately (mercifully) build to be heavy, and one that can be murder shooting prone on an up-grade shot. If you handload for it you can control the recoil by toning down the ballistics to whatever you can get away with. Duplicating the load of the 375 Winchester or 38-55 will give you a great 100-150 yard deer cartidge.~Muir

i wouldent think you will have to worrie about the recoil you wont be firing to many shots, look a the price of the ammo http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/ammunition/.375hh.html

that works out at 5.60 a pop

I've just been looking through the rest of MacLeod's ammo price list. I had no idea that prices have gone up so much, but the .375 price is just nuts. Unless you really need the cartridge for heavy foreign game why would you even bother thinking about it? Just pishing money away.
    Reloading is obviously cheaper, but even that's going up heaps.

i own a .308 and i love it and would recomend it to anyone but to be fair ive never used a .375 and cant comment on its pedigree. if the choice was mine i would go for the .308 as you can pick the rifles up dead cheap and the ammo range is vast and easily found but if you have your heart set on the .375 and do go for the.308 i dont think you will ever be happy with it and every miss you ever have will be down the the rifle in your mind and if you cant settle down with a rifle you will never shoot it to its full potential