Advice please!

gentleman jim

im looking for advice on mink trapping. i have a cage trap. and there is a stream just at the end of my road that runs under a small bridge. im looking to know how will i know if mink are about? best place and time of year to trap them? what way to bait the trap and set it.
all advice greatly appreciative
ATB
Colin

Cant really help much but i caught one in a crayfish trap so maybe a fishie bate

Jim, if you enter this ... mink trapping techniques ... into Google search, you find a great mass of stuff on it including youtube videos too,...... personally I just shoot em':cool:

Silly question

If you dont know if they are actually there then why are you feeling the need set traps for them? Checking the trap twice a day seems a bit of a ball ache on the off chance.

More importantly, are you allowed to put a trap there?

Otherwise there is ever so much stuff on the internet from cage trapping to fenns etc

I have trapped many mink in my job.The best bait when you have a lot of traps to go round is Kiti Kat cat food,I have tried all of the cheap alternatives and trust me they dont work as well.It is easier to open tins than to carry dead stinking things around with you.
The signs are first the Moorhens dissapear then the rabbit population takes a dive and you find partly eaten fish around, as well as the usual been at your chickens.They will kill anything. You can catch them anywhere you set the trap with the bait I have suggested.Alternativly because they are very inquisitive they do go into unbaited traps. Put your trap under the bridge.
Wf1

Silly question

If you dont know if they are actually there then why are you feeling the need set traps for them? Checking the trap twice a day seems a bit of a ball ache on the off chance.

More importantly, are you allowed to put a trap there?

Otherwise there is ever so much stuff on the internet from cage trapping to fenns etc

hi dan,
yes i have permission on the land to trap them from the farmer, and also i got a brochure from the N P W S here in Ireland about mink. and how they are on just about every stream, river,lake and pond. the N P W S has urged every hunter to trap and kill mink!

First job is to find out if mink are useing the stream suggest you make a clay pad in a tunnel and check for foot prints in the clay then swap the clay pad for a fen trap if the tunnel is used by mink.
I always take the rimfire when checking traps they are vicous little beeeees.

Hi Wf1,
thanks for the advice. i'll try the cat food as bait.i must ask to see if anyone is loosing chickens!
i must have a look out for a book or dvd on mink trapping.
ATB
Coin

I dont know where you are in Ireland but there were two packs of minkhounds in the south, Cork city,and Bride View 10 years ago. Thought that might be of interest to you .Might still be hunting.
Wf1

Back