Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on culling.

Question Thoughts on culling.

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me. I'm a film maker looking to make a positive film about deer culling and would be interested in hearing from the hunting community While, of course, I have done some research I am looking for a greater insight into the world of hunting.

A bit about me: I am a documentary film maker who will not try to pretend she knows all that much about hunting! But I am keen to make a beautiful film that does not disparage hunting.

Any responses would be welcome.

What are your days like? How do you prepare for a hunt?
    What is it about the hunt that is enjoyable?
    How do you think people view hunters?
    How does someone get into hunting?

Along those lines, or around them!

Many thanks!

How about an introduction?
    Have you done any other films that we can reference?

And you would like to be addressed as?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Could I ask why you've chosen this specific topic? Or in actor parlance, what's your motivation?

Hi thanks for responding.

Here is my vimeo channel (42121432) I cannot post links, but that is my account suffix. The Christmas Tree Method was my most recent film, though is not anything like how I intend this film to look. I usually work in quite lo-fi, focussing on nostalgia. However this film will use narrow depth of field and aim to create a portrait of a stalker at an estate (Attadale and the like in the Highlands)

The film will be made using visual storytelling alone, I will not be interviewing the stalkers on camera and there will not be any discussion, dialogue or speech involved. As you may well understand this is a difficult subject to convey without interviews! This is why I am looking to you as stalkers to help me with some research.

I would have done a intro on the other thread, but seeing as I do not shoot anything other than film it seemed a bit pointless I'm currently studying at Edinburgh College of Art, and this will be my graduate film.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Could I ask why you've chosen this specific topic? Or in actor parlance, what's your motivation?
    I'm a film maker that enjoys working with people, exploring characters. I happen to be really interested in hunting and taxidermy, just as a person interest. I enjoy the tradition behind it and it's something I'm keen to explore. I feel that a lot of people might look at hunting and deer culling and thing simply "Look what they're doing killing deer etc etc" but I'd rather create a film that looks to explore the reasons why, the characters of the hunters themselves. It is why I chose to make a short film about a butcher, I'm fascinated by people, their work and why they do it.

Anna

With regards to why people hunt. I cant speak for all, but I am sure that many hunters long for that connection with nature. I know I do! So many people in society are disconnected with the natural world, and the closest they get is watching wildlife on the TV. Something you appear to be catering for yourself with this film.
    For me there is no greater connection with nature than pitting your wits against a wild animal. My first and current experience of this was fishing. Nowadays, hunting and shooting is as much a part of what I do.
    So many people are of the belief that meat comes from a packet in the refrigerated section of Tescos. The first time I harvested a rabbit and prepared it, my eyes were opened wide as to what it really means to eat meat! Something I think many people are happy to be ignorant of!

Quote Originally Posted by HuN73R666 View Post
    So many people are of the belief that meat comes from a packet in the refrigerated section of Tescos. The first time I harvested a rabbit and prepared it, my eyes were opened wide as to what it really means to eat meat! Something I think many people are happy to be ignorant of!
    This is an interesting point. I was talking about this today, the fact that you can buy venison burgers in Tescos for less than 3 quid, but people are still angry about the idea of hunting. it's an interesting paradox.

if you want to understand hunters, why they do it and how they connect to nature - IMHO, don't target estates conducting culls, target the individual non-commercial stalker who's out in the woods or on the hill with just himself, maybe the dog, and nature.

ps. venison burgers in Tesco's come from deer farms, not wild game.

I'm in edinburgh, I'd offer to meet and discuss what it's all about if you would like, but it will cost you a cup of coffee! LOL.

regards,

PKL

It began looking at culling, however the more I research I am realising it is a portrait I'm trying to create, and so PKL you're right, I would be better looking at a man and his dog, as it were. I would happily buy you a coffee and a slice of cake even, for an in depth chat about hunting!

A