head torch or hand torch

DJC

what do you take out on these dark morning /nights .
can anybody recommend a good head torch or hand torch
djc

Led lenser or energiser hard case head torch. or good old Aldi cap with leds in the peek.

The Clu-Liter from Clu-brite is excellent as a hand-held torch, not too heavy, and good for lamping foxes and rabbits as well.

The head torch is handy for when you are doing a gralloch or similar and need both hands free so I always carry a little LED one in a pocket as it is very small and light. I carry a decent LED torch on my belt. Again this is relatively small and light but it will throw a beam to nearly 200 yards and gives decent light out to maybe nearly 100 yards so it is handy for searching for dead deer at last light and you can easily adjust the angle and direct it around a tree and so on which are things that aren't so easy with a head torch.

Always as head torch for stalking. Leaves both hands free.

However, Tesco do an unbelievably good aluminium body Cree torch for £9.99 It makes a mockery of some for sale at £40-£50. Runs on 2 AA batteries and I always have it in the car for a spare.

Guys,
I have led lenser .... But!!!!!....
guys on a sea angling forum put me onto these Cree led head torches from honk kong on evil bay
i bought 2 .... One is a 300 lumen to usable flood or spot for £8 delivered !!!!! & it's a cracker uses aaa batteries and if I loose it well bugger it's only a few quid ..... I now use it & keep lenser as a back up

the other I bought is a 1600 lumens cree fixed spot rechargeable for £18.99 delivered !!!!!!
its bright as hell and throws a really long beam these torches don't break the bank and are fantastic & if break then no biggie

paul

Led dual Lenser for me. I use it from Sea trout, ducks to stalking. It weigh's nowt and packs away very small. Best head torch Ive owned.

nutty

Try the Alpkit Gamma. Brilliant light with a choice of low intensity white, red or green LED's. Two light levels from the high intensity white and it even has a rear red LED you can switch on or flashing if you end up walking down a road in the dark.

Gamma LED Headtorch - Alpkit

Head torch for me. I'm still looking for one that lets you preselect the mode you want before you switch the power on rather than having to click through all of them to find the one you want or to switch off. I'd like to be able to select the red led and switch that on and off during lamping without engaging the white light modes.

Petzl for me, had a few of them for years now, placed in various bags, used for fishing and shooting.
They have never let me down, and batteries last for ages, +AAA's can be found just about anywhere.

Neil. :)

Led lenser headlamp with variable illumination and a cased led lenser on my stalking belt, covered for all eventualities. Always carry spare battery set. Perfick

Phil

Petzl Zipka - small enough to permanently live on my belt, bright enough to gralloch, follow up in emergency or walk off rough ground. Bigger cheap Cree in the roe sack for follow-up if required.

Nothing beats a head torch for ease & convenience - the strobe option will also ID a carcass / gate in the dark which can be handy.

Though there was one time in Sweden that this caused a Dutch couple came out to investigate a 'crashed plane'.

I had been shooting for Boar and it is an understatement to say that things got confusing in the dark, as a Brit with Norwegian hosts, tried to speak Swedish to a sarong wearing Dutchman (& his pyajama clad, model wife)!!
:)

Rgds

Ian

Last edited:
I use the Petzl headlamp

An invaluable piece of kit. Hand free so to speak. The last red deer I shot it took five hours to extract. By using this head torch made it possible I instantaneously had light no matter what direction I looked and had not to worry about the carrying a torch.

Back