Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5mm -300 WSM

6.5mm -300 WSM

Sold my little Remngton Model 7 stainless synthetic 260 REM with the Swarovski 3-9x42mm on top as well as my dies and brass today .

The fellow that bought it paid me a handfull of cash and traded me some stuff !

The stuff consisted of a Krieger stainless fluted medium heavy barrel thats finished at 28"with a muzzle brake . The barrels chambered for 6.5mm-300WSM . Also came with the PTG chamber reamer , a set of Redding DeLuxe bushing dies and a die to neck 300 WSM down to 270 WSM .

I figure I have about $175 tied up in that mess or a shade over 100 pounds sterling I believe .

Now I need to find me a Remington 700 short action that has the magnum bolt face for the WSM line of cartridges . Oh also will need a HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block !

I would suggest another barrel lined up as well as the 6.5/300 WSM will last sub 1000 rounds...although fun to shoot, we use 7mm/270 or 300 extensivly over here for F Class

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    I would suggest another barrel lined up as well as the 6.5/300 WSM will last sub 1000 rounds...although fun to shoot, we use 7mm/270 or 300 extensivly over here for F Class
    This barrel was threaded for a "bat" action which is a sorta clone of a 700 however they have different threads . So. I'll chop the threads off reface and thread for a 700 then find me a short 700 with a magnum bolt face and put the whole mess in an hs precision stock and make a tree stand rifle out of it ! Suspect I'll also sell my vz-24 action as well ! I do not plan to shoot matches so this thing should last me long enough for what I want . I have a history with the 270 ,300 and 325 wsm as well as the short ultra mags .

You could find an action threaded 1.062" x 18TPi - you;ll easilly pick up a BAT action over there, calling them a Remington "clone" is a little harsh like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Trabant....

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    You could find an action threaded 1.062" x 18TPi - you;ll easilly pick up a BAT action over there, calling them a Remington "clone" is a little harsh like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Trabant....
    A Bat costs about $1200 new and it still needs a trigger . I can get a 700 for about $550 take it apart and sell the discarded pieces so I'm maybe $400 into a new action . I can then lap the lugs myself as well as trueing the front of the action , I'll still need to buy a decent trigger as the new Remington factory triggers are shyte as you fellows would say .

Harsh or not the bat and most of the other custom actions made in this country are based on the 700 design . I personally prefer the Stiller action if I'm gonna waste $1200 on a custom action over using a Remington and refining it as the factory should have done in the first place .

ill take them off your hands if you like, imooking for this wvery calibre

bats start at about 1300 time you get them here and are the best of the best
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    ill take them off your hands if you like, imooking for this wvery calibre

bats start at about 1300 time you get them here and are the best of the best
    1300 pounds is roughly $1950 !

I wonder what the importation would be on a barrel , reamer and set of dies ?

barrel from brian fox 360 reamer and associated gno go gauges 250 dies wilson 50 each and get your smith to cut them in wislon blanks

prices approx and sunject to stock levels but i can do the dies
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    barrel from brian fox 360 reamer and associated gno go gauges 250 dies wilson 50 each and get your smith to cut them in wislon blanks

prices approx and sunject to stock levels but i can do the dies
    I don't wanna buy over there I was contemplating selling what I had to someone in your country .

I wonder if it's legal for me to sell this stuff to a Brit subject wihtout going thru an importation person ?

6pt,
    It sounds to me like you have the neccessary machining skills to build a rifle, so why not buy a 308 boltface short rem action and machine out the boltface to accept the WSM case rim and fit a Sako extractor? or alternatively purchase a PTG short action bolt with the correct boltface diametre and cut for either Sako extractor or standard rem type.

Ian.