Thread: how many of us

how many of us

The SD has over 6000 members. Basc has 120000. There are many of Bascs members who only shoot shot gun. Does anyone know how many people shoot Shotgun and Rifle or just Rifle? Any help would be handy

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

I seem to remember BASC doing a survey on this Mark. might be worth contacting them see if thet are prepared to divulge the info you want.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkinginengland View Post
    The SD has over 6000 members. Basc has 120000. There are many of Bascs members who only shoot shot gun. Does anyone know how many people shoot Shotgun and Rifle or just Rifle? Any help would be handy

Mark
    Mark I have been leaning on the following quite hard in my battle against the Vegans on the Sale of Shooting Magazines to under 14's at WH Smiths.

According to the most recent figures for England and Wales, there are 138,728 people certificated to hold firearms and they own 435,383 weapons. There are 574,946 shotgun certificates which cover 1.4 million shotguns.

Statistics for Scotland show that 70,839 firearms were held by 26,072 certificate holders at the end of last year. Some 50,000 people in Scotland are certificated to hold shotguns - and 137,768 weapons are covered by that scheme.

There are 1.8 million Veggies and only 180,000 Vegans. That's 0.03% of the population. Food Extremists!

I know you didn't want to hear about the last bit but into life a little rain must fall.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post

There are 1.8 million Veggies and only 180,000 Vegans. That's 0.03% of the population. Food Extremists!

I know you didn't want to hear about the last bit but into life a little rain must fall.
    Sorry to detract from the OP's original opening statement but why does the quantity/% of vegans & vegetarians have any relevance to fire-arms owner ship in the UK and the WH Smiths ban on sale of shooting related media to under 14's?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post

Be careful you don't become an 'extremist' yourself . I know and am friends with a good few vegans / veggies . It's thier choice and most of them don't give a monkeys about what Ido. Its more of our responsibility to educate people in what wedo , show them its an important part of the eco system and we are responsible respectfull and humane . I think your recent efforts have been great , good for you . But has it occurred to you how offensive some members could find your persistant hate towards vegans veggies etc .

perhaps the Vegans and Veggies eat the shooting mags in WHS more seriously though the sale or lack of sale of mags to the 14s has no bearing on the shot gun/rifle owners shooters, but having said that you could always use your right to the FOIA and ask dont know if you would get the info you want.

some may wonder why you require this info and look at you odd you just never know,at the end of the day shotgun and rifle owners are a bit suspitious of people who start asking who has what.

good luck with it though.

paul
    I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Be careful you don't become an 'extremist' yourself
    Exactly, it is no use slamming what you perceive to be the opposition. It may be suprising but there are vegetarians with an involvement in activities and employment from country sports through to the production and whole sale of meat and fish. It is their personnal choice not to eat meat as is your personnel choice to eat it, and to harvest it for that matter.

I have no qualms with vegetarians or people who don't like our sport, fine, mind your own buisness. Where my bug bear exists is in the proportion of society that perceive the pursuit of quarry via shooting & fishing to be cruel despite entering the food chain yet have no problem in tucking into a big bucket chicken - mass produced under barrety conditions. It's the lack of understanding and sadly I beleive it affect a huge proportion of society. How many Vegetarians do you think would exist in this country if we were all made to spend a day in an abitors kill line?

Blog Entries
    Hi chaps sorry not to reply sooner but I have been out shooting! It's a beautiful day.

The Certificate numbers I have given are accurate. BASC advertises 129,000 members

The Vegetarian an Vegan numbers are based on some official poll data. Because being a vegan isn't regulated the numbers aren't exact.

Why? It would appear that the main supporters of Animal Aid are a group of Vegans. My favourite discussion points this week have been the 70,000 jobs and 350million of revenue that they want to stop immediately in the countryside and the waste of life serving in the armed forces.

I don't give a damn what they eat. However I find these sorts of sentiments offensive. I'm sure it's a minority of a tiny minority. However these extremist do seem set on stopping us shooting and all meat production, not just the intensively reared stuff. I have done my bit to wave the flag.

On Friday I blocked all the Anti's I have been arguing with. I'm now going to put my efforts more positively into popularising shooting in general.

Together we shooters could be a really powerful group influencing decisions on the countryside but many of us see our traditions as our right. We aren't numerically superior to all of them but it's clear not all of them are against our way of life.

I have Veggie friends. Im tolerant of there perspective. I dont force them to eat bacon. I never knew a Vegan until last month. I don't feel I've missed much.

Ive discovered I'm a "pro countryside extremist". It's a label I can live with.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 11-11-2012 at 13:23.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    How many Vegetarians do you think would exist in this country if we were all made to spend a day in an abitors kill line?

I do my fair share of culling and you aren't wrong, there would be a lot more!

Oli

One of the guys I shoot pheasants with is vegetarian he just doesn't like the texture of meat in his mouth but he loves shooting
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY