Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re:1 step forward and 2 steps back

Re:1 step forward and 2 steps back

I started by reloading once fired cases not trimming,seating the bullet to a length similar to factory ammo.The results were fantastic.

Then,I started to trim the now twice fired cases,again to length similar to factory/mag length with varying results.

This week,bought a load of new brass,seated the bullet again in the same manner and the results are all over the shop.

The bench I was using at the range was a pistol bench,so I wasn't as steady,I'm hoping that this was the cause.
    But is there any way I can get consistent results from the first bullet to the last,especially when using new brass.?

Hi Gelert.Why are you trimming so early in the case life?With my 22-250 and 6.5x47 I do not need to trim the cases till they have been fired many times.Just check they are within the given spec for that calibre.As for bullet depth seating it will be trial and error as regards what your rifle prefers.See you tube for videos of finding when you are on the lands then prepare a 3 round batch at plus 10.15,20 thou and see which give you the better accuracy.If you have money to spend Hornady do a tool to help you find when you engage the rifling.Regards Richard.

hi Richard, I trimmed the second batch as i noticed the bolt was a bit stiff when chambering the round.I have tried to seat all the bullet to the same length as my fasctory ammunition which has been shooting very well in my rifle.I have also made them all to the same length,I basically took a fired empty case seated a bullet and chambered the round a few times,and have been working back.In my various reloading manuals the lengths given will not fit in my mag,and i have been adjusting the rounds respectively to fit,and near to factory ammo as I can.
    Done a few more last night so just need to test again at the range.

Surely you need to full length resize your brass? Regards JCS

what calibre?

I have a lee trimmer, it only trims when the case length exceeds the given length of the calibre specific rod.
    I can't think of any of the .270 brass that has actually been touched by the cutter
    only a handful of the .243 brass exceeded length and my microns.

new brass on the whole won't perform like once fired brass
    it is not fireformed

if you are neck sizing and the case is giving a sticky bolt you probably need to take JCS' advice and FL size
    if you are FL sizing already how did you set up the die?

when you say all over the shop what do you mean? how bad are we talking here?

With re-loading, there are rules, but as with all rules there are exceptions. So more often than not, there is some trial and anger involved with determining the cause. One factor here which can be quite variable is brass quality. Cheaper brass tends to be thinner and of course that means that the case capacity is slightly larger. If you use the same powder measurement then there is going to be a different result. But not always. Some loads and powders are more tolerant of these variations and some are really knife-edge stuff.

Try weighing a batch of each brass and see if the case weights are widely different. This might give you a clue. With the thinner brass you will also get a different neck tension which may affect your loading. Primer pockets can be different too despite the fact that brass should all be manufactured to fairly common tolerances.

So, there are some rounds which could shoot the same if you used brass collected up off the floor of a range and some which is so twitchy that you'd end up with a shot gun pattern. At least you know that you rifle shoots well, so you aren't chasing that around.

Just change one thing at once. That's the key.

Chris

calibre 243,
    I'm using lee dies and fl resizing my once fired federal brass.
    I didn't trim the first time around because in all honesty,i didn't have a trimming tool.

So I just made sure that,the length of the finished round was the same as my factory round,so I knew it would fit in the mag and chamber with no force required.

The shot brass measures roughly 2.040,with new brass 2.035.I used the lee trimmer on a dozen cases going back to factory length,used the same amount of powder and seated the bullet to the same length,and the results weren't consistent.

When I say all over the shop is a exaggeration on my part and I'm sorry, but the difference from when I was shooting through the same hole to now getting three shots with an 1' square is just frustrating.
    I'll try and get a few photos to warrant my frustration lol

Quote Originally Posted by richard griffith View Post
    Hi Gelert.Why are you trimming so early in the case life?With my 22-250 and 6.5x47 I do not need to trim the cases till they have been fired many times.Just check they are within the given spec for that calibre.As for bullet depth seating it will be trial and error as regards what your rifle prefers.See you tube for videos of finding when you are on the lands then prepare a 3 round batch at plus 10.15,20 thou and see which give you the better accuracy.If you have money to spend Hornady do a tool to help you find when you engage the rifling.Regards Richard.
    Consistency? I trim at every loading, picking the shortest of the batch and trimming them all to that length. As to the OP; if it's not the brass, it's you. Go back to basics.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Consistency? I trim at every loading, picking the shortest of the batch and trimming them all to that length. As to the OP; if it's not the brass, it's you. Go back to basics.~Muir
    I've done every thing exactly the same from the first to the last,and with 3 different brass all with varying degrees of accuracy.
    I could just be working myself up,but I'll try and get some photos up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    I've done every thing exactly the same from the first to the last,and with 3 different brass all with varying degrees of accuracy.
    I could just be working myself up,but I'll try and get some photos up tonight.
    That would be good. If it's not something else, it may be the brass.~Muir