Ear Defenders.

TGEvans

Hi. I am needing a new set of ear defenders for range work. I dont want the in ear type, I prefer the over the ear headphone type. I dont care about not being able to hear the wind or rustling grass, just great hearing protection. I have seen some peltor sets up the range and seem good for the money. Any info and advice would be great guys, Thanks, Tim.

i use these for trap shooting, zeroing etc.

very good and affordable.

The Petlor Optime III are quite fat though, and may not suit some people. Try some before you buy and take into account that you don't want the ear defenders to interfere with where the cheekpiece of your rifle butt is going to be. I have some Peltor active defenders which are reasonably thin but they still seem to get in the way. Active ear defenders can be very useful at hte range for hearing range officer commands etc, but not cheap

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/640/103389/peltor-sport-tac-electronic-earmuff/

Last edited:
I think so. There seems no way round the 'size = noise reduction' equation!
Increasingly, though, I use a pair of electronic ones based on the Optime II on the rifle-range, and a pair of the slimmer Sporttac electronics for clays. I do like to be able to hear what's going on.
If non-electronics are wanted, however, I grasp for the Optime III.

I think I will pick up a set of the Peltor Optime III then! Bit concerned if they will fit with the rifle stock though. Just have to give it a go I think! Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on! Tim.

Sorry to steal your thread but has anybody used the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X ear (gel cups) defenders as I was thinking about getting a pair. I already have a pair of moulded " in your ear" type and while I found them to be very effective i sometimes get ear ache the next day.

Whats the best price for Sordins?

Willie

Hi This is really important.

I am someone who sees regularly the damage noise can do to hearing getting the right ear muffs is important.

In essence you need two types; one for range work the other for stalking/shooting. The ones for stalking/rough shooting can be either in the ear ones or ones with microphones as the number of shots taken will be less and the advantage of hearing the surroundings is useful. For range work you need tight fitting proper ear muffs. DO NOT buy cheap, you may save £20 now but when you are 55 and need hearing aids at £1500 a pair you will regret it. What you need to look at is the noise attenuation. The average rifle report is 120dB (decibels) but can be as much as 140dB if not moderated. Instant damage occurs over 110 db. so if your muffs only give you 25dB protection and there is someone at the range shooting without a moderator you are in trouble. for safety's sake you need to look for a pair which gives you at least 35dB of protection, this way you are covered in all circumstances.
There are many brands out there most of them mentioned above but it is the sound attenuation which is important. look at the technical data first, then make sure they fit properly (tightly) you sould with them on struggle to hear someone speaking to you and feel you are relying on lip reading.

DO NOT buy cheap however most of the £40-50 ones will be good enough.

Perhaps a pair of Peltor Optime III?
+1
I looked into this quite a bit when I wanted some for range work. There may be others available now, but when I was looking the passive Peltor optime III I think gives about the highest noise reduction available at around SNR 35 db. For electronic ones, the ProTac II had the best reduction I could find at SNR 32 db, but they are much more expensive. In comparison, the popular sport tac is only about SNR 26 db, not enough for me...

Last edited:
+1
I looked into this quite a bit when I wanted some for range work. There may be others available now, but when I was looking the passive Peltor optime III I think gives about the highest noise reduction available at around SNR 35 db. For electronic ones, the ProTac II had the best reduction I could find at SNR 32 db, but they are much more expensive. In comparison, the popular sport tac is only about SNR 26 db, not enough for me...

Quite.
I think the Sporttac is OK for shotgun noise, but not adequate for the rifle-range.

I think earplugs, moulded or otherwise, are completely inadequate for rifle-range use.

Back