what fox calls do you use at this time of year?

bewsher500

I have a selection of fox barks and scream, mating, distress etc etc

I am not hearing too much natural calling and wondered what the real foxers were using to bring them out?

I've no claim to be a real foxer, but I was having a lot of joy just squeaking on the palm of my hand last week - west side of the city. The fact that I failed to shoot them had nothing to do with the calling...

You get out last night?

I'm using whatever works on the night in question. In other words, I cycle through several tracks until something shows. This week, I've had most success with grey squirrel and snowshoe hare distress calls. I did have a big dog fox come to the vixen mating call though. From memory, I've had 12 foxes since Saturday, and my mate has had three. We could have had more, but the red deer need attention too...

You get out last night?

no, unfortunately not!
got caught up in somethin and then the call of the wine got me

I haven't had much success with rabbit, mouse, bird calls
was going to give the fox calls a go as I hoped the amorous intentions this time of year might make them drop their guard

I must admit I have some funny sounding ones that I have never heard them make myself

I must admit I have some funny sounding ones that I have never heard them make myself

Foxes can make all manner of strange noises which we rarely hear. Although they may work, I'd want to know what each call meant to other foxes before using it, so that I only played it at the right time and in the right place. Unfortunately, trial and error is probably the only way to find out whether they are going to attract or repel though! I really only use three:
1. Vixen on heat
2. Vixen mating call
3. Fox squalls

Foxes can make all manner of strange noises which we rarely hear. Although they may work, I'd want to know what each call meant to other foxes before using it, so that I only played it at the right time and in the right place. Unfortunately, trial and error is probably the only way to find out whether they are going to attract or repel though! I really only use three:
1. Vixen on heat
2. Vixen mating call
3. Fox squalls

As above. I start as follows:

1. Vixen (Mating call/bark)
2. Vixen on heat
3. Vixen mating call
4. Fox squalls

If no joy ill thrown in a Dog fox mating call...Has been working for the part 6 - 8 weeks.

Back