Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decock SAKO bolt

Decock SAKO bolt

Can anyone tell me if i can decock my bolt in a sako 85 , so that i can withdraw it and store elsewhere . i do my rim fires etc ok but not sure on this one .

Is there not a tool ?

Don't know about Sako, but dropping a Tikkas bolt on the floor is a surprisngly effective way to decock it...

Yes there is a decocking tool that normally comes with the rifle though you can do it by hand when you get the knack of it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Do you mean release the firing pin spring so that it is not under tension? If so, hold the back end of the bolt and turn it. To return it to ready position, do the opposite - if it is a bit stiff slide the tang on the underside of the bolt with the red dot on it into the slot on the action with the bolt facing backwards and turn it.
    Or your question could read how do you actually remove the bolt from the rifle so you can 'store it elsewhere'? If so - on the left side of the action is a catch, toggle this and the bolt will slide out of the action.
    Last edited by Virbius; 09-11-2012 at 10:13.

I see what you mean Virbius but I asumed that the bolt has already been removed from the rifle.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have never intentionally de-cocked mine, done it unintentionally a few times, have a sako thats almost thirty years old never caused any problems leaving the bolt cocked.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I see what you mean Virbius but I asumed that the bolt has already been removed from the rifle.
    Yes, I had until I re-read the 'withdraw it and store elsewhere' - over to you Bongo?

The decocky tool thingy is the bit labeled 72 on page 49 of the owners manual which you can find here http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Sako85RH.pdf

If you're wondering how to remove the bolt at all in the first place, the bolt release catch is on the top rear left of the action (part 28 on the same page). You might also need to switch the safety off to get the bolt to slide out.

my rifle comes with a precision storage device and decokcing tool.......

its called the chamber and trigger!