HWHV - Health?

karamoja

Hi - I am looking to get a new dog in the spring - The HWHV is a strong contender, but I have heard some horror stories about health - skin complaints and also food issues? how widespread is this and are there checks/tests that show these issues? plus what other health problems are possible?
Regards -K

Hi - I am looking to get a new dog in the spring - The HWHV is a strong contender, but I have heard some horror stories about health - skin complaints and also food issues? how widespread is this and are there checks/tests that show these issues? plus what other health problems are possible?
Regards -K

I have one with no horror stories,but PM Kit on the site here he will tell you all you want to know.
My only reservation would be to get one that is docked.

Regards

DavieH

Hi Karamoja,
From my short experiance, they are tough and resilient to disease problems!
I reccommend this breed for wanting to please you and persistance to finding fallen prey Etc
Bill

Hi Karamoja,

I have had no health issues with our Wires , They have not been popular withthe show types up until recently when the K.C granted the breed CC status . thathas stirred more interest in the show people and will no doubt have an impactupon the breed in the near future .
Obviously you will get the odd dog that may have issues but the wires seem tobe a generally healthy breed .
As the gene pool is still fairly small within the UK I would be checking theinbreeding coefficient of any litter that you are considering( Check it herewith the K.C )
I would also recommend that you make sure the both parents have been hip scoredand have scores near to or below the breed mean average .
With show people breeding wires you will find the very few litters are docked and dew clawed.

I would guess that the health issues that you refer to relate the HungarianVizsla (smooth ) where there has been some irresponsible breeding over the pastfew years
in particular with the dog the was best in show at crufts siring several hundred puppies

There is a working show owner by me I think she has 7 she has not bred her bitches as she does not think that the younger bitches are suitible for breeding .But has a good stud dog and has just got a stunning dog pup from zoldmali and in the past few days put her name on another dog pup from zoldmali will be in this country in 2 months she has told me her bitches do get skin problems and is sorted out with hibi scrub.The smooths are the ones to watch out for. make sure you see the parents of the wire's as coats do varie from wire,wooley to ones that look smooth but are wire's.Spend some time talking to breeders go and see there dogs travel if you have to if your happy then book a pup out of next litter.The litter i bought my pup out of where a week old when i went to see the breeder i traveled to preston from north wales 2hrs there 1 1/2 looking at bitch and the pups grandparents I only went to see these. I was happy with the breeder his dogs and his set up put a deposit down on a pup then 2 hrs home. Went back 5 weeks later to pick a dog pup then back to collect it 2 weeks later

see previous posts on SD if your still not sure just ask

Last edited:
make sure you see the parents of the wire's as coats do varie from wire,wooley to ones that look smooth but are wire's.

Good point about the coats but do be aware that you can get a wide variety of coats within a litter , some will look smooth but may develop a wire coat ( we have seen it come after 3 years),
others may look to have a good wire coat developing at 4/8 weeks can turn out to be very close coated.

Just a general comment on the advice from grumpyoldsod regarding hip scores. Please bear in mind that having a lower than average breed mean score means just that, ie that the sire and dam were better than the average for breed. Too many people regard lower than average as being good ( which it is not). I would suggest that when choosing a pup that the sire and dam should have a hip score far far less than the breed mean score, for most breeds certainly in single figures (left and right hip scores added together). Even then this does not in any way guarantee that the puppy will not be a carrier of the hip dysplasia genes or be clinically affected.

Hi All -Thanks for the advice and help, very much appreciated. What are the skin conditions they can have? Do they clear up or they permanent and just treatable? Also I have heard some horror stories regarding diet and stomach complaints. How prevalent is this? Also if there is any one in the south herefordshire area who has one - it would be great to convince the more sceptical half (we had a very bad and painfull experiance with a gsp that had the biggest attachment issues i have seen). We would love to meet you.
Regards - K

Last edited:
There is a working show owner by me I think she has 7 she has not bred her bitches as she does not think that the younger bitches are suitible for breeding .But has a good stud dog and has just got a stunning dog pup from zoldmali and in the past few days put her name on another dog pup from zoldmali will be in this country in 2 months she has told me her bitches do get skin problems and is sorted out with hibi scrub.The smooths are the ones to watch out for. make sure you see the parents of the wire's as coats do varie from wire,wooley to ones that look smooth but are wire's.Spend some time talking to breeders go and see there dogs travel if you have to if your happy then book a pup out of next litter.The litter i bought my pup out of where a week old when i went to see the breeder i traveled to preston from north wales 2hrs there 1 1/2 looking at bitch and the pups grandparents I only went to see these. I was happy with the breeder his dogs and his set up put a deposit down on a pup then 2 hrs home. Went back 5 weeks later to pick a dog pup then back to collect it 2 weeks later

see previous posts on SD if your still not sure just ask

Hi Pendle

Is the breeder you are talking about a Rachel Walker of Lannok Kennels????

Regards

DavieH

Back