Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar Bullet 7mm08

Boar Bullet 7mm08

Well Ive put down a deposit for a go on the boar with Sinbad.

I reload using 140gr Gameking but have some 160gr Speer Hot Core, is it worth getting a load sorted with the Hot Cor or just use the known accurate Gameking??
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Go for the heavier bullet. The recommended minimum bullet weight in some countries is 150 grain.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I shot a few with 140gr SP from my 7x64 no problems.

Yes but was it legal in the country where you shot it. As I mentioned earlier some coutries specify a minimum bullet weight, some specify a minimum energy and/or calibre. I'm just saying be aware of the legislation where you are shooting.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Have used 175gr Partitions in 7mm08 to great effect on driven Boar. As an example, one shot entered the Boars skull (he was running head on towards me) travelled down its spine to his shoulders then turned through 90 degrees to exit through his lower chest, taking out its heart and lungs. We found him 100 yds away from the shot site. Ergo - boar are bloody tough so pack as big a punch as you can! Heavy and slow is the name of the game!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

After reading tjwaines reply Dan do you want me to save you some of the 175grs you gave me mate.lol
    paul/sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    After reading tjwaines reply Dan do you want me to save you some of the 175grs you gave me mate.lol
    paul/sinbad
    Cheers Paul, Ill have a play tomorrow with the 160's and see how they group lol
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Driven or stalked? If stalked, not quite so critical as shot placement will be far more precise. I use 140gr Accubond in 7mm-08 for stalked boar in UK with really good results but would agree with other posts on using the heavier bullet if driven or in a country which specifies this.

Whatever and wherever, have fun!

Versatility....

Interesting - but to dilute this slightly (and accepting this would not be optimised for boar) what are your thoughts on the best compromise bullet weight for use on reds, sika and medium sized boar in 7mm08. The most likely scenario being woodland shooting at mostly 100-150 yrds, but with an outside practical limit of 300 yrds? (France I believe specifies a minimum energy rather than bullet weight)

Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    Driven or stalked? If stalked, not quite so critical as shot placement will be far more precise. I use 140gr Accubond in 7mm-08 for stalked boar in UK with really good results but would agree with other posts on using the heavier bullet if driven or in a country which specifies this.

Whatever and wherever, have fun!
    Its from a high seat and I had a play with the 160gr Speer Hotcor and they shot well so I think ill use them.
    Another 7mm08 shooter!