Thread: Mount height?

Mount height?

Is it best to have the mounts as low as opssible so the objective lens is close to the barrel?
    Just bought some medium optilock rings for a 6x 42 S&B as advised by the gun shop but the info clealry shows it would take a low set and I have measured it and lows will easily clear the barrel.

This would be dictated by the size of the optic and the eye position on the stock. I have a BRNO and although I also have a close fitting Zeiss scope I still had to have a mod done on my stock so I dident "reach" for the scope with my eye.

Too high and you won't get decent contact between cheek and stock (though you can offset this by buying something to pad out the stock). However you may want a higher set if you get a moderator...

But in theory, with a higher sight line you get more angle and so you get less drop between 100 and 200 yards, the downside being that you get more change in point of impact at close range (no such thing as a free lunch!)

This would be dictated by the size of the optic and the eye position on the stock. I have a BRNO and although I also have a close fitting Zeiss scope I still had to have a mod done on my stock so I dident "reach" for the scope with my eye.

Optilok Mounts

You are probably sorted now mate. But you defo need the low mounts for the 6-42 S&B and mediums for the 8-56 S&B......Believe me...I know!

You can mount a 56mm on a 30mm tube in the lows and for the 42mm you can use the extra lows.

Lower is better and it also makes the set up look better.

if its too low the bolt handle cac catch the scope. ive had this hapen on more than one occasion.
    regarding the brno cz, ive also found that it can be difficult to mount the scope far enough back without craning my neck. My nikon scope ran out of adjustment as did a bushnell. I now have leuopolds on both my 601s and have no problems with eye relief.

pete