Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 out of 4 attempts on boar

3 out of 4 attempts on boar

I had Martin (weeman) over recently for his 4th outing over the last couple of years to try for another boar
    he has a good strike rate only having one blank outing so far , i knew chances were good on new ground i have
    where lots of damage to farmland is being done
    Not a great photo but all i could manage on phone camera
    Well done Martin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0135.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	21290
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

nicely done, is that from where i think it is?

Here's a wee write up.

I spoke to Colin Wednesday just gone informing I was at a loose end Friday and fancied another go at the boar. Much to my delight Colin said timeing is perfect as boar are showing over on a new seat/land.
    Met up at 16:00 at agreed place and spoke about the plans. Wow its quite surpirseing what boar these rotervators damage can do to land. Any way up in the seat, Colin pointed to the area that they were feeding and the likely hud where they would show an apperance.
    The weather was perfect windy and the wind towards my face.

Quickly is was going dark and listening to nature in the back ground settleing down. Tick/tock, tick.tock we was expecting noise from 19:30 as Colin said there was a great chance.
    I relaxed in the seat just reasting my eyes, I find it more comfortable and relaxing this way and can concentrate on hearing rather than seeing even though darkness had arrived.
    My first noise "O yeh" of twigs being broken then silent, after about five minutes the noises where getting louder and more frequent. I wasn't sure if there were more boar or a single as the noises seemed to zig zag effect. I remember Colin telling me from previous stalks that if they grunted it wasn't a good sign.
    Quite a large grunt "O sxxt" I thought as I just moved the rifle. With the sound of the grunt I new it was pretty much infront of me with direction and would be visable through the night vision.I waited patienly hoping it would stay feeding and relax. I relaxed and then heard the boar feeding enough to know its time. Up with the rifle within seconds onto the boar waited to it came perfect broadside, as my mind what seemed to go blank, I sent a round towards the boar with the cross hairs perfectly place on a clear head shot. The boar dropped on the spot and watched for a couple of minutes to make sure it wasn't going any were.
    From the first noise to the shot being taken was approx 25 minutes, its quite intense remaing that calm and motionless hearing and hoping they come into view.
    On approach I new this was bigger than my previous and chuffed to bits.
    The cleaning proces began and pictures where soon being taken.
    What a success rate 3 out of 4 stalks, and true honesty from Colin.
    Weight wise I reckon about the 80kg mark.
    Back down the M6 with another smile on my face. Planning my next trip back up already.
    Once again cheers Colin.
    Will try and get up before X-Mas.

Ment to add on Colin

Was I the first one to christen the new seat and open pastures for you last night in taking the boar???
    Its a good feeleing getting first dibs.

good man. i know of a lad who has been at boar 8 times and never even heard one let alone seen one!

Well done Martin pleased for you mate

Ive done 3 outings on boar over the last 3 nights ending with 2 successful nights
    and one blank night , last night was my first outing on a new place i have and proved
    very interesting , i will post pics later. A really big boar was seen but couldnt get a shot
    on him so took a smaller animal from the group
    It looks like we will have some good nights on this place , i have been feeding it up for months
    so hopefully the guys who have booked in will do ok

Quote Originally Posted by Solwaystalker View Post
    Ive done 3 outings on boar over the last 3 nights ending with 2 successful nights
    and one blank night , last night was my first outing on a new place i have and proved
    very interesting , i will post pics later. A really big boar was seen but couldnt get a shot
    It looks like we will have some good nights on this place , i have been feeding it up for months
    when do you want me down!!!!!!!!!!!!

let me know when your free Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Solwaystalker View Post
    Is that the area we were at on Monday? Need to get back up ASAP.

Cheers
    Pete