Thread: new cocker

new cocker

hi all thinking about having another cocker my bitch is 5 years old and im thinking it would be nice to have a younger one to follow up. Only thing is i dont want to go through the puppy stage and have been thinking about buying either a part or full trained cocker. Any advise please regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Hi biker, why not get a puppy? You get all the benefits of being able to bond early and train it for specifically what you need, my bitch is just 1 now and she has been a joy to train........?

I have four cockers, I would not have missed the formative months of their development. Cockers are a wee bit different to other dogs (as you know) and the bonds between the handler and dog are ( I think) essential to the way the dog behaves socially and at work. If you do want to go down the route of buying a 'made' dog then be prepared to write a large cheque, the effort required to bring out a cocker to its best is quite significant. I don't know how well you are acquainted with buying dogs but look at a number of them before you buy, take the dog out alone for 20 mins and see if it hunts and behaves nicely with you socially. Cockers respond to eye contact and will respond with a wide eyed smile if they like you.
    If you want a self dependant kennel dog buy a springer, if you want/don't mind a dog that will dirty your trousers, sit on your lap, steal your lunch and drive you mad while making you pee yourself with laughter then the cocker is the way to go.
    BUT, you probably know all this... buy a well bred pup or get the big cheque written.

Quote Originally Posted by longlowdog View Post
    I have four cockers, I would not have missed the formative months of their development. Cockers are a wee bit different to other dogs (as you know) and the bonds between the handler and dog are ( I think) essential to the way the dog behaves socially and at work. If you do want to go down the route of buying a 'made' dog then be prepared to write a large cheque, the effort required to bring out a cocker to its best is quite significant. I don't know how well you are acquainted with buying dogs but look at a number of them before you buy, take the dog out alone for 20 mins and see if it hunts and behaves nicely with you socially. Cockers respond to eye contact and will respond with a wide eyed smile if they like you.
    If you want a self dependant kennel dog buy a springer, if you want/don't mind a dog that will dirty your trousers, sit on your lap, steal your lunch and drive you mad while making you pee yourself with laughter then the cocker is the way to go.
    BUT, you probably know all this... buy a well bred pup or get the big cheque written.
    Beautifully put .
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Why do they jump up so much ? Two of my. Beaters have cockers and are always covered in **** .

Go for the pup but try to get the best u can ie working stock makes training a lot easier. Mine is of ftch the easiest dog av ever trained. BUT not for deer Dean
    Last edited by dean; 10-11-2012 at 20:13. Reason: add