Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: two perfect deer loads 243/308 ???

two perfect deer loads 243/308 ???

Guys if you had to pick your perfect deer load in 243 and 308 what would it be ???

Eg= stating ,case make, powder make/type and weight, bullet head, primer make and OAL

intrested to know your thoughts

ATB

Dave

Impossible - every rifle is different and every task is different also.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Impossible - every rifle is different and every task is different also.
    ok refrazed what have you found is the perfect load in your rifle ??

In my tikka 595 243 i use 32.5 grains varget winchester cases cci primers 100 grain sierra prohunter softnose
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

in my .308 its actually hard to beat lapua mega 150 grain factory ammo. i do have a tighter grouping homeload but ive yet to try it on deer

Very much tongue in cheek I’ll stick my neck out slightly here and say that it’s almost impossible not to find a perfectly acceptable load for the .308. I tend to stick to 150 grain bullets for everything but have tried 168 grn Sierra Match Kings for target shooting with excellent results. Sierra 165 Game Kings I found were just too solidly constructed for roe and failed to expand. If I want something bigger than 150 grain such as for boar I reach for a bigger gun. The bullets that I have used have varied depending mainly on what’s available at the time but have included everything from Winchester, Remington, Speer, Hornady and several others. I am currently using Sako bullets and find them to be excellent. The only bullets that I have found wanting have been Winchester silvertips.

Currently the only cases I have in.308 are Lapua and PPU both are very good. Primers currently in use are Sellior & Bellot and have been for some time but previously I have used RWS and Federal. I avoid buying CCI since having a bad batch many years ago and CCI and the importers refused to replace the defective primers. Since then I have always tried to purchase something else.

Powders used have included Nobel (of Glasgow), Nobel Sport Vectan, Accurate Arms, Ramshot, H380, Varget, N140 and just about to load up with TR140. There are probably been several others too. It’s difficult to find a powder that doesn’t work.

I don’t worry too much about seating depth and usually adjust to factory length. I usually but not always neck size and only occasionally factory crimp using a Lee die.

The results after a little fettling have always produced 1” at most groups but usually nearer to half of that. I take reasonable care with my preparation and charge weights but frankly I have found .308 to be a forgiving round and easily achieve adequate accuracy for my needs.

Personally I have had little to do with .243 that’s not to say that I don’t rate it just that I prefer something larger.
    Last edited by 8x57; 10-11-2012 at 15:36.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

In my C.Z. 550. 243 i use 85 grn Sierra Gameking hollow point. 36 grns on Varget. lapua case , CCI large rifle primers. OAl 66ml. This I have found to be very good on Roe, Fallow and Red deer. I also use this on Foxes.
    Tusker

Best to pick a bullet weight you want to use in each calibre Dave . For me it's 70 and 125 nosler bts .
    Atb Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    in my .308 its actually hard to beat lapua mega 150 grain factory ammo. i do have a tighter grouping homeload but ive yet to try it on deer
    Ziggy cant praise Lapaua 150gr Just a thought mate why dont you home load the Lapua Mega

Just started loading myself, and found I was getting clover leafs at 100 yards with my .243 Tikka M595.

100gr Speer boat tailed soft points in a Federal case, CCI primers with 39.5g of N550, OAL 2.686.
    Last edited by reload; 11-11-2012 at 15:28.