Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and high seats?

Dogs and high seats?

I shoot a small plot of land with few Roe on it and keep an eye on the numbers because there aren't many, there are two towers on the land and there is another chap who shoots it as well, the thing is it seams the deer are becoming nervous of the tower's this could be because the other chap has two dogs and he wont leave them in his vehicle because he is worried about them destroying the inside of it, I know what your thinking about that been there already, the thing is the scent of the dogs blows through the wood and puts the deer of, when the deer come out on to the ride they see the dogs and do one, what's the general thought among you guys am I on the right track or not, any advice would be welcome.

Regards Al.

never had a bother with my dogs and stalking ,i would say that they are becoming nervouse of the towers because they no whats coming from them they do learn and wont stick around for long if you are shooting the same area. how small are we talking and how often does it get shot, atb wayne ps you dont say if the dogs are quite sat at the seat

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I've never seen the point in sitting above the supposed scent line of a deer but yet plonking a dog right on ground level and forcing it to sit there for 2-3 hours. I'd rather sit on a seat myself and leave the dog in a vehicle in case it's needed or stalk over it where it can indicate unshot deer. For me a dog is for indicating or tracking not sitting motionless and useless below a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    never had a bother with my dogs and stalking ,i would say that they are becoming nervouse of the towers because they no whats coming from them they do learn and wont stick around for long if you are shooting the same area. how small are we talking and how often does it get shot, atb wayne ps you dont say if the dogs are quite sat at the seat

I haven't seen what goes on with his dogs as I don't go if he is there, don't think they are learning what the towers are there for this problem didn't arise till he started sitting his dogs at the bottom of the tower? its only a small area with around 12 -15 deer I spend more time keeping an eye on them than shooting them, when I do take one out I split it with the farmer and every ones happy, it's a difficult topic to bring up with the guy with out upsetting him but something will have to be said.

Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    I've never seen the point in sitting above the supposed scent line of a deer but yet plonking a dog right on ground level and forcing it to sit there for 2-3 hours. I'd rather sit on a seat myself and leave the dog in a vehicle in case it's needed or stalk over it where it can indicate unshot deer. For me a dog is for indicating or tracking not sitting motionless and useless below a seat.

That's a bit more in line with my thinking cheers mate.

Al.

I stalk with my dog and she will sit under a seat if asked. I have a few seats well back from the car. Also going back to the car in full day light picking up a dog and going back to get a deer and then going back to a car with deer in bag rifle dog etc etc is not really practical in areas were the car is in a street.
    Like wayne i have never noticed any difference my mate works with two terriers and he seems to do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I stalk with my dog and she will sit under a seat if asked. I have a few seats well back from the car. Also going back to the car in full day light picking up a dog and going back to get a deer and then going back to a car with deer in bag rifle dog etc etc is not really practical in areas were the car is in a street.
    Like wayne i have never noticed any difference my mate works with two terriers and he seems to do fine.
    Mine will also sit under a seat if asked but I don't see the point although I do see the application in your urban situations I have read about where when you want a dog you want it quick and also you wouldn't leave it on the street when not in use.

my personal view on deer with scents are we are always told to use the wind in our favour like deer do and it works because they dont smell us but they use other means of detection and also memory , i went out this morning spent an hour stalking an area i no deer go at this time of year being things are getting less green and these deer go out into an open area well i stalked as far as i could as i run out of my boundry but these come back on to mine at night. 5 out in the middle of the field and one doe on her own making her way back to me now bingo all i have to do is wait . on the other side of my boundry two weimeranas(spelling) running around like lunys and kids with two adults all 5 stayed layed down in open ground didnt bat an eyelid the doe just froze looking at these people and dogs i stood up unloaded and made myself known ,the kids smiled ran off to the parents and they turned and walked off .the roe stayed were they where and didnt move ,they knew they were safe no one has ever shot that ground and they could see what was going on and felt safe . I have often stalked ground with dogs only to have to back track and find deer where i have been half an hour earlier and for me deer use all their senses , if you regulary shoot deer in one place they soon learn to be wary of that area but go there because of whatever it is they need from that place. my stalking is not from seats as a rule but they do work well and i dont usually sit in one for long i like to stalk sit and move on with my dog stalking and sitting a little at a time works for me i get to glass and not get bored . the dogs in your situation might be an issue ,i have never stalked with two i cant see that working but each to there own . going back to your earlier post i only have a small piece of ground at home so i spend most of my time stalking them watching and leaving them only taking ones i need to but the dogs always with me and again its not bothered the deer if we stalk right. even in a seat i watch the dog as they usually know where the deer are before anything else so i dont concider them useless whilst sat there ,atb wayne
    ps how often are the seats used and how often does your friend use them

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for the reply s guys, will mull things over before anything is said.

Regards Al.

Don't see the dogs as being the problem assuming that they sit quietly below the seat. My dog always sits below the seats and far from being useless he hears and scents deer long before they are seen. IMO he's useless if I leave him in a car just in case I need him.
    I would be more inclined to consider that the deer have become wary of the area around the high seat. Being a small area of ground with two people stalking it/using the high seats it may be down to over use/stalking.