Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: importing gun's from the us

  1. #1

    importing gun's from the us

    can you import gun's from the us?

  2. #2
    Can,t see why not ,the CIA have exported billions of them all round the world

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by clived View Post
    Can,t see why not ,the CIA have exported billions of them all round the world

    thanx for that

  4. #4
    For the uk, yes you can BUT

    1.you need a slot on your FAC.
    2.The correct paper work from the ATF for export. Which a friend will have to fill out and file, way before you go over to the US(I don't think aliens are alowed to buy fire arms with a uk FAC. And the export paper work has to be approved before you leave the country).
    3. If the rifle is less than 12 months old (receipt required) you will have to pay duty on your return( if the value exceeds 350 now I think)

    Havent got a clue about Ireland conditions. But I do know that is what you need for the uk.
    Last edited by Simjim33; 11-11-2012 at 11:18. Reason: Typo. no one can be a firearm!

  5. #5
    Paddy this question has come up several times before on the site, it may be worth doing a search through previous postings. I know that in the past it was relatively easy and quite legal to purchase firearms in the U.S. when visiting and to simply declare them on your return. In recent years things have changed and I understand that it is now very difficult for visitors to purchase firearms and that normally guns will only be sold to U.S. citizens and those with resident status and the necessary authority.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Paddy this question has come up several times before on the site, it may be worth doing a search through previous postings. I know that in the past it was relatively easy and quite legal to purchase firearms in the U.S. when visiting and to simply declare them on your return. In recent years things have changed and I understand that it is now very difficult for visitors to purchase firearms and that normally guns will only be sold to U.S. citizens and those with resident status and the necessary authority.
    That is true. That's why you need a friend to perchace it for you ahead of time and get the paper work sorted out. Then you are listed as the courier for export as far as the ATF is concerned. You become the owner when you arrive back in you home country. So make sure you are authorised to own that rifle. I will try and find the link to the ATF site for the export licence. Then send it to you on PM.

  7. #7
    Jim you must have been posting while I was still typing.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Jim you must have been posting while I was still typing.

    That's happens all the time!

  9. #9
    am in northern ireland so id say the uk law stands here

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    am in northern ireland so id say the uk law stands here
    Should be the same then.

    I can't stress enough that getting a friend to buy the rifle for you in advance and get the paper work done. You will need the same permission if you wish to bring a scope back with greater magnification than x4 times.

    I my know this as there is a rifle with my name on it sat in Montana at the moment.

Similar Threads

  1. Importing Firearms
    By YukonT in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-12-2011, 20:48
  2. Importing from the US.
    By jonathankent in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-10-2011, 09:03
  3. Importing Powders
    By Paul at Fechan in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28-02-2011, 18:19
  4. Importing from America
    By Briarquest in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-09-2009, 19:35
  5. importing bullets
    By swampy in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 10:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •