Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: have many of you built your own gun?

have many of you built your own gun?

am in two minds whether to buy a custom gun or a accuracy international ae or build my own gun. it will be used to hit paper a lot and stalking. i will only be stalking maybe 3 times a year as i can not afford to do it any more than that .

I'm considering building one myself. There are a good few Mausers about over here for £50 or so (both sportered Kar98s and Otterup M/69s), and I think it could be fun to try building one into a half decent rifle (both for stalking and the range).

There are number of users on a Danish forum who have made 'Tactical Otterups'. Here is a link to a thread if you are interested: Nordisk Våbenforum Vis emne - Otterup Tactical Rifle - 6.5x55mm

Edit: A project like this might leave you enough money to go stalking a bit more often too!

I have a full size 22rf stalking rifle which I built on an Mod 2 Brno. I did a bit of fettling and polishing with the action, but the main job was to build a full size stock from a piece of cherry wood that I had - indeed it came from a cherry tree I had to cut down at home. It has the weight and balance of my Heym SR20, but in 22 rf and I love it. The stock work took me a while, but very satisfying.

what about a sako75 short action from say a .243, buy a mcmillan sako stock and have it pillar and glass bedded, fine tune the trigger. Install a 22"-24" semi sporter barrel chambered in 6.5 hornady creedmoor, have it threaded for both over barrel moderator purposes and for muzzle brake purposes. stick a pic'y rail on it and have the barrelled action duracoated/cerakoated in matt black, but the stock in a nice dark hunter green. stick a medium harris swivel bipod on it. I would also stick a 2ndary sling swivel stud and install a traditional US army 3-point sling. much match shooting and stalking could be done with this setup without looking a t1t on either side of the fence.

scope wise I'd say S&B PM11, but failing that on the budget, a leupold MK4 ER/T 4.5-14X50

just a thought

its a good thot other than the 6.5 part

I know where there is a stainless sako 75 long action bedded into a mcmillan sporter stock.
    that needs a rebarrel. 650 and its yours. The stock and bedding cost close to that. Never mind the action.

Spend another 700 on it for rebarrel and full bead blast and you have a new barreled semi custom bedded rifle
    in a calibre of your choice. Of course thats if you want a long action calibre

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    its a good thot other than the 6.5 part
    well the world's your oyster, .308 would be a good choice too - I just picked the 6.5 HCM because it can handle anything from fox to red stags - perhaps too small for boar or larger NA game, but a true do-it-all round is hard to find, maybe .270 or 7mm then

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    I'm considering building one myself. There are a good few Mausers about over here for £50 or so (both sportered Kar98s and Otterup M/69s), and I think it could be fun to try building one into a half decent rifle (both for stalking and the range).

There are number of users on a Danish forum who have made 'Tactical Otterups'. Here is a link to a thread if you are interested: Nordisk Våbenforum Vis emne - Otterup Tactical Rifle - 6.5x55mm

Edit: A project like this might leave you enough money to go stalking a bit more often too!
    I have built many project rifles. It's pretty rewarding. One of my favorites was a single shot cast-bullet bench rest rifle in 30-30 Winchester on a Swede 96 action. It had a heavy Douglas barrel, a speed lock and a timney trigger. I took several 1st places in local matches 100 and 200M matches with it.

Neat link. My translation skills are nil but under "inspiration", the author isn't calling that Tacted-Out Savage a Remington 700 is he??~Muir

jay 22 thanx for the offer but am after a short action. where do you's buy your action's?