What caused this damage

No disrespect to anyone, but if Badgers can do that they must be on steroids.

Boar are the culprits, I would say, and certainly those that hunt them more than I do also concur. There are Boar present in just about every southern county of the UK, although they may not be in large numbers they are there and growing. There were reports of piglets being seen on my lease in W Sussex this spring, but I have yet to confirm this.

I would be 100% confident in saying that is boar! More than one, and looking like there were a few smaller animals in there too. You will certainly find slots in there for sure, and possibly droppings around the area too which I can only describe as looking a smaller version of horse cr*p. There is absolutely no way that is badger damage!!

Happy hunting!!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:
177landy , not sure what you mean by banks too steep , boar can climb like goats and jump a 5ft fence

Lordy if you set cameras up and see a few badgers on the fields leave cameras in place for a while , we often see
badgers on the same ground but they make a quick exit when the boar appear :D

Don't know anything about boar but if it was badgers doing this then how come we are not all putting up posts asking 'what caused the damage...' seen as they are right across the country and no doubt display the same feeding habits!

I don't know either way, but I would say that its not that long ago when lamping you would hardly ever see a badger but now we see them all the time every where we go, just a thought.

Al.

177landy , not sure what you mean by banks too steep , boar can climb like goats and jump a 5ft fence

Lordy if you set cameras up and see a few badgers on the fields leave cameras in place for a while , we often see
Hi Colin
On my cousins place all the fields are surrounded by walled up banks of about five foot high with beech trees growing out of the tops of the banks,there are small runs that badgers get up and over but they would be far to dense for a pig to get through on a regular basis I.M.O. but I am by no means an expert but these banks are almost vertical.
Hoping to get back up with you early in new year.

[quote=sikamalc;470286]no disrespect to anyone, but if badgers can do that they must be on steroids
Boar are the culprits, i would say, and certainly those that hunt them more than i do also concur. There are boar present in just about every southern county of the uk, although they may not be in large numbers they are there and growing. There were reports of piglets being seen on my lease in w sussex this spring, but i have yet to confirm this.[/quote]

:rofl: maybe Brian May has bred a super badger that can fight back??????

boardamage.jpg

Boar Damage

I was surprised when I saw boar leap a wide ditch and straight up a steep bank such as Landy described. I really didn't know up until then that they were so agile. They may look lumbering and clumsy but they certainly aren't.

I had a customer in Sussex, claiming he had boar in his garden, under 4 walnut trees, installed a couple of stealth cameras, all that was seen over three weeks 24/7 was Mr Stripey (Whole family ripping it up)one camera was ground level and the other on a 8 foot pole.badgers on every night and not a glimpse of anything else apart from a mangy old fox

The damage was the same as the op pictures but on a far lesser scale, 1/2 acre of turned over soil is a Large area for badgers to undertake, the time taken for badgers to rip that lot up would leave some trade mark signs. As would pigs or boar.

The question is......................... Should I put in for a .308 on a chance of an invite for boar shooting. :rofl: I know - I have two hopes one of em is bob hope and the other is no Hope. :doh:

Best of luck, keep us in the loop on the conclusion

Atb

Phil

Last edited:
im sure its badgers, i live on a pig farm, and wen the sows get out and walk on the lawn. there is no question where thay have been! what im saying is if its pig u will see prints??

Definitely badgers.
Quite used to seeing 1/4 acre + turned over like that by brock around here, where there's no boar.
If it were boar there's be some deeper dug areas, and plenty of hoof prints.

Looks just the same as other boar damage I have seen before so I would say boar
Regards andy

A couple of pics of boar damage i passed today , im not sure why a few think they would dig a lot
deeper , i find they usually only turn the turf over in fields , i often dont find a lot of prints around
rooted areas , if you can find where they are getting through into the field you will find prints easier
Photo0139.jpg Photo0140.jpg

We have not got them in our area yet but this is exactly the same as we see in France and around one of our open forest shoots there is not a piece of grass left unturned, roadside verge childrens play areas gardens.

My vote would be 100% boar

Mark

That's Boar, no mistake, il get pictures on Saturday of exactly the same damage.

I dont know how they do it but they tend not to leave many slots. I've got footage of Boar on a pheasant feed ride and hardly a slot in sight.

Back