Thread: hi there

hi there

just starting out in the big wide world of deer stalking, ive had a piece of land that ive shot rabbit on for quite a few years now, just recentley they have said (the owners) that i can go ahead and start culling the fallow on there, so here i am ive got my dsc1 next month which im quite looking forward to, once ive got that i can put in for me rifle (tikka t3 lite). now ive been told that the 6.5x55 is a great all rounder and the feo will grant its use on fox deer and wild boar is this right? im looking to get the 6.5x55 or a 243 im undecided can any one shed some light on this for me please, mainley going to use the rifle on deer and foxes possibly treat myself once a year to boar shooting as ive no land with boar on myself, in the mind of using there rifle for the ocasion when i do. apparentley there is more choice of factory ammo for the 243 than the 6.5x55 down the line i will probaly get into reloading but what is the price difference between them? thanks in advance for your imput fellas

Welcome to the site, ask your questions in the rifle/equipment forum you will stand more chance of replies,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Sharkbait
    6.5x55 is a little small for Boar, I have a German friend and I have been going to Germany for over 20yrs shooting Boar. The 308 is about the minium size, I use a 30.06 with 220grn tips. The Sauers have interchangeable barrels, you could get a Sauer 202 in 243 and get a 308 barrel for it.

We cull about 180 deer each year, if you need any advice or wish to come and see how we do things send me a pm. Search this sight under GAP180 or GAP 180.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

thanks for the info fella much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    Sharkbait
    6.5x55 is a little small for Boar, I have a German friend and I have been going to Germany for over 20yrs shooting Boar. The 308 is about the minium size, I use a 30.06 with 220grn tips. The Sauers have interchangeable barrels, you could get a Sauer 202 in 243 and get a 308 barrel for it.

We cull about 180 deer each year, if you need any advice or wish to come and see how we do things send me a pm. Search this sight under GAP180 or GAP 180.

Hi Sharkbait,

Welcome to the SD, will find loads of info on here.....

Munty1

Its not just a case of getting a barrel for the Sauer 202 in .308. You will also need to get another bolt as the Sauer 202 .243 is a Med Short Bolt and the .308 is a Medium bolt. The Mag for both is Med Short.

Regards,

SS

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    Sharkbait

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie