Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best ammo for howa 1500 .243

best ammo for howa 1500 .243

just brought myself a howa 1500 s/s stealth hunter combo. On reading recent articles in the magazines i just wondered wot do people use for deer upto fallow,at around 100 ish yards the only reason i ask is in recent reveiws some ammo did not hit the legal requiement for deer using this rifle

ppu,norma,etc winchester only just made it

Is this from an official source? I ask because most people would dismiss a 243 as "ok" just by virtue of general usage.

That said, my daughter shoots PPU 100 grain and has killed very big deer with it. (Winchester Model 70) Shoots well.~Muir

In my 243 I shoot only handloads . And I typically use the Nosler 95 BT and the Hornady 95 SST . Both however if I'm not mistaken can be had in factory loads .

Now with that being said I know a good many fellows that are older then myself that hunt whitetails exclusively with a 243 WIN and a good portion of them use plain old Remington Core Lokt 100 grain factory loads .

Many in the UK seem very worried about their rifles reaching minimum energy levels at the muzzle.????
    Is it really so common that officials catch you out in the field and have testing equipment along to see if a rifle has the by law stated energy?
    How about cold weather? might have a few flb less again and might be snookered?
    There must be some case studies of how many have been prosecuted for too low energies in their deer rifles. How many ?
    I would not give a hoot about it. In 243 I'd use a factory 100gr sp/bt that works well and that's it.
    There are way more important things when shooting deer than +/- 50 flbs.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Many in the UK seem very worried about their rifles reaching minimum energy levels at the muzzle.????
    Is it really so common that officials catch you out in the field and have testing equipment along to see if a rifle has the by law stated energy?
    How about cold weather? might have a few flb less again and might be snookered?
    There must be some case studies of how many have been prosecuted for too low energies in their deer rifles. How many ?
    I would not give a hoot about it. In 243 I'd use a factory 100gr sp/bt that works well and that's it.
    There are way more important things when shooting deer than +/- 50 flbs.
    edi
    Exactly.~Muir

How could the law prove that the round you fired and killed the deer with was ilegal?

87 grn V max, works for me

D

RWS shoots well as do the 105gr Geco rounds ( at a fraction of the cost ).
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017