Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Dog ?

Which Dog ?

Hi, I'm looking into getting a dog at the moment and I was wondering what people would recommend.
    I initially liked the idea of a BMH but then read the recent BMH thread and, well, enough said.
    Ideally the dog would be a pet who would come to work with me (I'm a self employed Cabinetmaker and Joiner on a Farm) and would also live in my house (a smallish town house) .
    The dog would be a pet but one that I can train for tracking a wounded Deer, should it be needed, but I don't want something that can't think about anything else and can't be around other people or kids. I don't want a yappy dog either, I'd like one that can quietly sit up a high seat and enjoy life with me, also, it would be nice if it were smallish, like Spanial sized. So, I've been toying with a Wire hared Teckle ?
    My only concerns with the Teckle are its little stumpy bumpy legs ! Maybe they are a positive thing rather than a hindrance ? I imagine that they could work quite well on a wounded Muntjac in thick cover ?

Kindest Regards, Olaf

When I started out reading this I instantly thought "Labrador" but I think from the sound o things it may be a touch big.

Teckels can be a real handful but I don't have much experience of them.

Have you considered a Border Terrier? Small and placid and there are plenty of people who use them for deer work.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    When I started out reading this I instantly thought "Labrador" but I think from the sound o things it may be a touch big.

Teckels can be a real handful but I don't have much experience of them.

Have you considered a Border Terrier? Small and placid and there are plenty of people who use them for deer work.
    Hi, thanks, indeed a Lab would be lovely but as you observed a touch too big. I'll have a butchers at a Boarder Terrier. Are they not a bit of a disaster to train though ?

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Hi, thanks, indeed a Lab would be lovely but as you observed a touch too big. I'll have a butchers at a Boarder Terrier. Are they not a bit of a disaster to train though ?
    Ach, I've had a look and they look lovely but I think I still prefer the Teckle option. I'm open to further thoughts on it though ?

I work labs, always bitches. How much space does one take up compared to a border? They both need a bed in the corner of a room, a smallish box for the car and one does not cost any more than the other in kennels when on holiday because it is a bigger dog. There is a good choice of working labs in this country and a wee bit of homework should find you a good one with proper health checks having been done. I would not discount one because of size alone although I have sen some very big and powerful lab dogs that may seem out of place in a wee house.

Personally I would say a lab bitch from proven working lines would fit the bill perfectly.

I would advice you the same a Jamross. A good lab can do anything and I don't have one myself, I am a spanielman. Other options :

- http://www.dachsbracke.de/
    - http://www.wachtelhund.de/

Two breeds that I like alot.

Jamross has made some very clever points regarding a Labrador and keeping a dog of that size versus a terrier size dog.

Fair enough if you aren't over keen on the border terrier over the teckel but I would say as far as training a border goes they would be every bit as biddable as any teckel.

Be carefull not to take a dog which is to short in the leg. Imagine snowed in bracken or heather. There are so many types of ground on which a short legged dog will be disadvantaged a lot. The teckel has great nose and a lot of "spurwil" but is just to small, when the going gets tough. He is perfect for a short "totsuche" on easy ground, but how will he cope with a legshot hind or stag on a snowed in hill? A female lab has the perfect size.

Sounds like a lab is your ideal choice, as Jamross said don't think the bigger the dog the more space you need. That said if you do go in the lab direction consider a bitch of the smaller framed variety which can be around 25kgs, LIKE MINE!

Great family dogs, bidable, love working and have a very natural instinct (unless it's chocolate).

Hi - I will probably start an argument now, but are all chocolate labs poor useless animals? I have often heard this said, is it really true, or can they be trained as black and yellow labs?
    Regards - K