14 7.07%
  • Poodle

2 1.01%
  • Other

9 4.55%
  • None

2 1.01%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Dog Breed is most generally suited to the UK Stalker??

Which Dog Breed is most generally suited to the UK Stalker??

A relatively simple question with many possible answers, but from each and every individual member of this site:

Q: Which breed of dog in particular best fulfils the needs of a Deer Stalker within the UK?

There are a few quick fire answers that really won't pinpoint any specific breed such as 'Any dog with a good nose', that's not really answering the question. It would be nice for a change if those opposed to foreign methods did not go straight for the jugular and vice-a-versa with the often displayed Germanic orientated snobbery. We are all going to be biased to our own choice of breed, of course that is to be expected as most of us will draw of personnal experiance.

Please bare in mind this is a general question looking for a general answer not a specific answer to meet one individaul's needs.
    Example Question: Q. Which bore of shotgun is best suited to shooting A. 12 bore, because...

The floors open...

I would thin it all depends on the area you work and what species of deer you mainly stalk. The new hounds on the scene seem to fulfil what most would ever need .
    May i ask why the GSP and GWP were put in the same area to totally different dogs.

Last edited by 6pointer; 12-11-2012 at 19:33.

I use both shotgun and rifle so to keep things simple I use labs , they cover all my needs in the shooting world, "Jack of all Trades and Masters of none" maybe but they are reliable and biddable, and good at their job.
    I have absolutly no experience with any other breed, I`ve had labs for the past 45 years and have had no desire to change what works for me, and others who require their help now and then

Bob

I went for Labrador, If I could have had a second choice it would have been GWP. And thirdly the terrier as I have a big dog/little dog combo.

Works for me.

I need a dual purpose dog for shotgun and rifle, and in the past leaned towards labs and lab crosses with the odd lurcher and terrier thrown in for good measure when needed, all performed well enough and as bobg757 said about the labs, jack of all trades.
    2yrs ago I decided to get a GWP pup, what a breath of fresh air. its been a rollacoaster of a ride but loved every minute of it, I have used him as a peg dog, walked up and for rough shooting. he gets used for tracking deer as well as stalking them and will sit under a high seat for hours without complaint.
    Ive introduced him to duck flighting (see previous post) and pigeons as well.
    Although they are a high maintenance dog they are well worth the extra effort.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Obviously some breeds are better than others but generally any and all of them could be suitable. I presume as regards poodle we are talking a proper standard poodle of working stock which is something quite rare in this country.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I always fancied an irish water spaniel but couldnt get my head round the way their tails look just like a rats.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I had to vote other as you did not include GLP, which are most definitely not the same as GWP/GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I had to vote other as you did not include GLP, which are most definitely not the same as GWP/GSP.

Often mistaken for a long legged springer by some!

A friend of mine has one, lovely dog...

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Yes, def not the same as GWP / GSP, and pretty rare as a working dog as well . . . how do you rate the GLP?????

What do you use it for?