Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to reloading

new to reloading

Hi all, Just after a little info if anyone can help.

As a starting point, I have purchased sierra 52gr match bullets, cci primers, once fired hornady also some remington brass and varget powder ( these are for target use ) I dont have a manual yet but am eager to have a go, so have found info on the web and a mate has found me other data from his manual. I will later also be loading for 40gr blitzking, 55 Vmax, 55gn SP. I want to later load for these and other various weights for shooting targets, fox/vermin and roe deer.

However, I am unsure about oal ...... I have measured my rifle, a CZ 527 in .223 with a 1 in 12 twist and using a oal gauge its 2.247.

Data found is showing oal at 2.250 does that mean I cannot load to this length, as its 3thou over my own chamber ? and would it be dangerous to use this load with a shorter oal ?

Also data for various loads are showing, for example, an oal of 2.175 .... am I ok to load at longer oal, say for example 10, 15, 20, 30 thou under my own rifles oal of 2.247.

Sorry for going on a bit ..... and thanks for reading so far.

Cheers, Alan

dont trust everything you read

double check everything
    your 2.25 is off for pretty much all of the bullets listed by VV

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/rel.../relodata/5/44

zero with some factory ammo
    work up a "ladder" of loads using ACTUAL POWDER/BULLET MANUFACTURER DATA with all the bullets seated the same as your factory ammunition
    find which load(s) produce the best groups
    then start faffing around with COL/OAL

my bet is you will see a sub MOA group with a 65-85% case fill at factory OAL

Quote Originally Posted by owdnorthener View Post

As a starting point, I have purchased sierra 52gr match bullets, cci primers, once fired hornady also some remington brass and varget powder ( these are for target use ) I dont have a manual yet but am eager to have a go, so have found info on the web and a mate has found me other data from his manual. I will later also be loading for 40gr blitzking, 55 Vmax, 55gn SP. I want to later load for these and other various weights for shooting targets, fox/vermin and roe deer.

However, I am unsure about oal ...... I have measured my rifle, a CZ 527 in .223 with a 1 in 12 twist and using a oal gauge its 2.247.

Data found is showing oal at 2.250 does that mean I cannot load to this length, as its 3thou over my own chamber ? and would it be dangerous to use this load with a shorter oal ?

Also data for various loads are showing, for example, an oal of 2.175 .... am I ok to load at longer oal, say for example 10, 15, 20, 30 thou under my own rifles oal of 2.247.

Cheers, Alan
    I wouldn't have thought that a saami spec load would be too long for your factory cut CZ.
    How sure are you that you've got this right?
    What's the longest you can fit in the mag?

My advice would be to get a manual, one book/one caliber are a good start for recipes.
    The ABC of reloading is a good starter in terms of process.

Shortening loads does tend to boost starting pressures so if you're marginal it could push you over.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Shortening loads does tend to boost starting pressures so if you're marginal it could push you over.
    so can lengthening them.....

typically not unless you're getting into the lands and even then it can be marginal.
    all things equal a longer loaded round will be slower than a shorter loaded round.

ive found the 52gr sierra mach bthp a very good round for my gun i have shot 1/2 moa with it . the load i use is 25.8gr of h335 its a very good load for me. my gun is 1 in 12 twist to . starting load for varget powder is 24gr and max is 27gr if i was you id start between them two(25.5) and go from there just make a few with each load you want to try too you get one your happy with . thats what id do any way

Owdnortherner,

I am a novice reloader but have successfully worked up five or six accurate loads so far. I would encourage you to get a manual and read it through before you start to reload. Reading a manual won't make you an expert overnight, but it will give you a good overview of the process and an appreciation of the risks and pitfalls.

I've read Lee Volume 2, Hornaday Vol 8 and the latest Nosler one so far. I think Lee is probably the best for gaining an overall appreciation, albeit much of it is an advert for Lee stuff.

Cheers,

Bob

Would that oal be to the rifling lands, the 2. 250 is for overall length not to the ogive,I would load to match your factory ammo for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    typically not unless you're getting into the lands and even then it can be marginal.
    all things equal a longer loaded round will be slower than a shorter loaded round.
    pressure is related to MV but not in a 1=1 way
    you can still have a high pressure load that is slower than a moderate pressure load

Quote Originally Posted by owdnorthener View Post

Cheers, Alan
    Alan,

I've got the same rifle. The maximum OAL I get in mine with the Sierra 52gr HPBTM is 2.22" (56.5mm) if that's what you're quoting so measuring techniques do differ.

The maximum internal length of the CZ527 magazine is 2.32" (59mm) so it will accommodate sharper designs.

Standard 55gr FMJBT (American Eagle, etc.) is usually 2.20" (56.0mm), so I'd say 3/1000" isn't significant.

I've used 11 other bullet weights, and the OAL range runs from 2.207" to 2.287" (56.2mm to 58.2mm). Only the lightweight bullets which need deeper seating are anywhere near 2.150". The nose profile of each make of 55gr bullet varies and the OAL, so suggest you take a check-reading each time you change brands, or even boxes of the same make if you're trying to get right up to the lands.

I've found that normally seating a bullet slightly deeper reduces velocity, and maybe pressure too (but who knows?) because of the longer 'jump'.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.