Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC 2 and no larder

DSC 2 and no larder

Ok here's a wee question. Im thinking about registering for my level 2 but I dont have a larder, and at present all deer I shoot are for personal consumption. Now If Im correct then lardering techniques are part of the level 2, I may well be wrong, and itll not be the 1st time!!!! How do I get round this? Can the beast be lardered in the field? Or what is the accepted method in this situation?

nutty

Top question. Looking forward to clarification but I think its more about BP in-the-field carcass handling and prep.

Cheers

K

If you go out on your own ground and you are witnessed then you will need to prep the deer for pick up by a game dealer and show a suitable storage area or you will need to show a good understanding of what is needed to meet legal requirements. No need for a larder but need for a cold storage area.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    If you go out on your own ground and you are witnessed then you will need to prep the deer for pick up by a game dealer and show a suitable storage area or you will need to show a good understanding of what is needed to meet legal requirements. No need for a larder but need for a cold storage area.

To add to what you have said, the candidate could argue that they are taking the carcass straight to the gamedealer in which case the same demonstration of suitable transportation and storage conditions apply plus the knowledge you mention of what would be required from a storage facility/larder.

Are candidates able to download the AW guide which would give them access to example questions? The answers are not there so it would be good prep I would have thought?

http://www.dmq.org.uk/downloads/WitnessHandbookV5.pdf that gives example questions. Also helps with everything on a level 2 stalk.

So mate your saying I wont be able to get my level 2 without cold storage as a minimum requirement?

nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    So mate your saying I wont be able to get my level 2 without cold storage as a minimum requirement?

nutty
    Your AW isn't going to come round and inspect your storage facility if you don't take him to see it. But..... anything that cannot be demonstrated is likely to be covered with the questions.

You will not be asked 'Do you have cold storage facilities?' because an AW is not allowed to ask such a question. Instead you might be asked, 'Describe a suitable storage area, for small numbers of deer' (4.2) or 'As we are not taking this carcass back to your own preparation and storage area, can you tell me what are the key requirements of such an area?' (4.3)

I mentioned the AW guide for a reason! If you read it (and the other paperwork) and you have the required knowledge and experience then you will be well prepared for DSC2.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post

nutty
    I have candidates in such a position take a deer directly to a game dealer or drop into another stalkers larder. You don't need to have your own larder facilities as such. I'm between larders at the mo until the garage gets built .

oh sorry and only PC 4.1 requires observation relating to the transport and storage of deer everything else can be questioning alone:

4.1 Carry out work hygienically and safely in line with food safety and with health and safety requirements.

Knives and other equipment suitable for use. Lifting and hanging equipment serviceable and conforms to legal requirements. Candidate aware of personal safety. Equipment serviceable and clean.

Observation supported by questioning
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 12-11-2012 at 19:30.

Demonstration observation and questions make up the DMQ .If you cannot demonstrate and we have not seen it done then a question is required.
    So Nutcase can you tell me what the legal requirements are for a storage facility regards temperature.
    Only nutty need answer.

Demonstration observation and questions make up the DMQ .If you cannot demonstrate and we have not seen it done then a question is required.
    So Nutcase can you tell me what the legal requirements are for a storage facility regards temperature.
    Only nutty need answer.
    Ok pointy old chap......

It should bring the core temp down below 7 degrees c (I think) and kept at that temp. Thats of the top of my head thinking back to my days in the Kitchen and the temp checks I used to do with the fridges.

Nutty