Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: big black cat

big black cat

hi folks whats your thoughts on this one

two weeks ago a freind was walking dogs close to our local shoot and seen what he believed to be a big black cat and said he took a video of it on his phone but i have not seen this yet but last season there was a large very dark almost black fox seen twice on our shoot and we put it down to it but on saturday it was the first day on our walk one stand one diy shoot and a beater said he came across a deer carcass that had been eaten quite fresh and had been skinned as a cat would eat a rabbit then later on in the day another beater came across a similar carcass about a mile away on another part of the shoot , we just thought that the dear had naturally died and mr fox had been lucky to find them both . then today in our local paper front page news someone had almost run over in their car what was described as a panther /puma like cat within a mile or so of both carcasses

question is if you were out with rifle and came across said animal would you shoot it ???

243 on ticket for "VERMIN" or "PESTS" would it be legal would you go public ??

if you did have a big cat locally (you don't) you need to 100% make sure you shoot it with a rifle that can kill it well and once dead go large with the media, god I would ....

I don't think that the shooting of such an animal in a wild environment would get you into trouble unless you wounded it in terms of your FAC. You can't have such things running about when it would pose a serious risk to public safety....

You would need a good spin doctor as I've not heard of any big cats posing a serious risk to public safety in the uk .Also its not worrying live stock. sticky wicket!
    Plus I'd want a big gun with a big bullet.

Winchester101 - where about is your syndicate in Angus?

I seen a "large cat" about 4 years ago near the iron bridge outside barnhead, which is between Brechin & Montrose. When i say it was a big cat im not talking Puma or Lynx here, it was maybe 1.5 x the height of a normal moggy, but very very long which is what surprised me about it. Probably 2 - 2.5 x the length of a normal cat, but jet black & very puma like in appearance to be fair... i can see why people might confuse these animals for Pumas when they see them at distance.

Some people think im nuts, but theres no mistaking what i seen as it was only 30yards away when i bumped into it. When it did become aware i was there it didnt hang about & was gone in seconds.

DA
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

I put the question to a person of authority on similar issues. There response was that if te elusive beast that are portrayed in the media really are present then they have yet to prove themselves to be a problem and as such no really basis could be formed to shoot such an animal. On the other hand I have it on my fire-arms certificate along the lines of 'the shooting of animals for the protection of oter animals and humans, pretty much covers it in my opinion.

yeah make sure you kill it

saw a big cat yesterday first thing came to mind jesus that is big 150% size of springer on second look about 70 or 80% size of springer with long hair the mind can play tricks it was large house cat the way a cat moves can make you think oh sxxx
    why would a cat need to kill twice in such a small area

could have been over a few days "maybe theres more than one "

Would Love to see the video

As much as I like the idea of there being big cats wild in the UK, the reality is no one has ever caught one on a Trail Cam!!!... So probably a myth!

There are a couple of exotic breeds of domestic cat that people keep in the UK that get as big as you describe, probably one of those.

As for the dead deer - is it possible it died then got eaten by foxes?