Patch on Sika

ejg

I hadn't taken my springer spaniel stalking for maybe a year and thought we'd go for late morning walk through some bogs and rougher terrain hoping to stumble across a sika hind or calf.
For the fun of it I took my 30-30 along.
The overweight springer, Patch, flushed a few snipe and a cock pheasant on the way and possible thought I'm a bit slow as no shot was fired. Shortly before getting back to the farm a hind jumped up from the high grass and ran to the right and then turned back past us.
Broadside I fired at about 60yds. The was no real reaction fom the Sika and I went up the bank to where I fired at the deer. Plenty hair and lung bits. I steadied the dog and slowly followed the massive blood trail. Patch vanished into the gorse. When looking in I saw Patch found the deer and started to retrieve the thing as she would with woodcock..... What a sight as she managed to yank the deer out of the gorse and stood over the deer thinking what the**** is this.

edi

DSCN7274.jpg

DSCN7278.jpg

Excellent story ejg, those 94's do get around. Thats exactly the type of hunting old john browning designed that rifle for.
Well done AB

Called into Patrick Sunday evening and saw some of that in the kitchen :D
He was well impressed with the 30-30. Nice shooting.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm enjoy the simplicity of the open sights on the lever action especially in the rain. Only worry I have
is that I need to find some decent oil to protect the stock. The linseed oil just washed off.

AB, one of my favourite types of shooting. I've shot more deer around lunch time this year than dusk or dawn.

Corkonian, Patrick enjoys a bit of venison, he's such a nice chap. Did you get the bolt handle fixed?

edi

Hello again ejg, I've tried a number of finishes over the years. When I was apprenticing I was taught the traditional london gun trade oil finish( and more variations of it than I can remember) as well as synthetic surface applied finishes( which I dont like) including spar varnish. The spar varnish works well but involves a lot of wet sanding, it is however very water repellant.
The product I use a lot these days is Varathane's natural oil finish.Its marked maximum wood grain enhancement-natural and comes in a gold can.I apply it like linseed or tung oil. Wet sand in 1 or 2 coats to fill the pores,buff it down to bare wood and re-apply as many coats as needed for a smooth finish( dont forget to do under the butt-plate and the interior inletting) buffing down to bare wood between coats. This product really penetrates well, Ive cut through test pieces that I've treated and in some cases it reached over an 1/8 of an inch into the wood(dense grained black walnut) Its rated for exterior use and is extremely durable as well really water repellant. I've done 40ish stocks using this product over the yrs and all reported that it has stood up to hard use well.A few are trappers and natural resource officers, their rifles and shotguns are out in the elements more often than not and see more use in a month than mine do in a year. The fact they still repel moisture after all this time is testament to its durability.I like it because it looks like a traditional oil finish, doesn't yellow and its easily maintained with a quick wipe-down once or twice a year
You may have to remove whatever finish is on the stock before applying, especially if its a surface applied coating.I like to go up to 400 grit sand paper and whisker the wood twice before applying any finish.
I realize you weren't asking for advice but this treatment has worked so well for me over the years I had to share lol
Hope this helps AB

Something just occured to me, I have a synthetic drop in stock that came off a post-64 model 94 that I restocked for a friend. He gave it to me. Thing is, I'll never use it.Its a bit blasphemous but it is truly impervious to any weather, easy to install( 4 screws and a bit of buggering about) and its free.If you want it pm me your particulars and I'll send it over.
Good Hunting AB

Thanks for the replies.
I'm enjoy the simplicity of the open sights on the lever action especially in the rain. Only worry I have
is that I need to find some decent oil to protect the stock. The linseed oil just washed off.

AB, one of my favourite types of shooting. I've shot more deer around lunch time this year than dusk or dawn.

Corkonian, Patrick enjoys a bit of venison, he's such a nice chap. Did you get the bolt handle fixed?

edi
Yes Patrick is as sound as you'd get - hardy fecker too to survive up there.

I have a few other jobs planned for the T3 as well so I might just wait until March.

Good luck.

Something just occured to me, I have a synthetic drop in stock that came off a post-64 model 94 that I restocked for a friend. He gave it to me. Thing is, I'll never use it.Its a bit blasphemous but it is truly impervious to any weather, easy to install( 4 screws and a bit of buggering about) and its free.If you want it pm me your particulars and I'll send it over.
Good Hunting AB

Hi AB, thanks for the offer.
PM sent.

and thanks for the advice on the waterproofing.

edi

Back