Stalking in North Wales

llwynog

hi
does anyone know of any stalking in North Wales? I know theres fallow, red and munters about, but has anyone got any for sale???

There are plenty of fallow, a few roe and a very few reds and muntjac in North Wales but getting stalking is very difficult indeed as most live on big estates or FC ground where the stalking is managed and let.

Your best bet is to find a farmer who has the shooting rights on the edge of one of the big forests or estates where the deer occasional feed or get on to.

thanks for reply, I've got exactly what you describe below, its a 22acre area between woodland. There's only fallow on this piece of ground and only really passing trade! What I'm looking for is more ground either to rent or go out on, on a regular basis in North Wales. I've got good ground around 6000 acres in Norfolk and as much as I want in North Devon and in the Black Isle area of Scotland but it's so far to travel.

WHAT!!!!!

Am I seeing things?

Poor you, only having that much ground, 6000 acre in norfolk, and as much as you want in North Devon AND to top it off, the black isle area of Scotland. I have to say that my heart really does bleed for you llwynog. :cry:
I think tou must be taking the mick or something putting a request like that on here when you have got more ground that you will ever need and, IF, it is the case that those areas are too far away, why don`t you give them up to someone who will appreciate having it?.

wadashot :evil:

llwynog said:
thanks for reply, I've got exactly what you describe below, its a 22acre area between woodland. There's only fallow on this piece of ground and only really passing trade! What I'm looking for is more ground either to rent or go out on, on a regular basis in North Wales. I've got good ground around 6000 acres in Norfolk and as much as I want in North Devon and in the Black Isle area of Scotland but it's so far to travel.

That sounds a lot like a piece of ground that a friend and I looked at last year and made an offer on bearing in mind that we were looking at only a couple of animals a year off it. We were outbid having made what we thought was a more than generous offer. If your 22 acres is anywhere near St. Asaph it might be one and the same.

It is almost impossible to get any decent ground in North East Wales as most of the deer live on two or three big estates and they are all tied up. I've been trying to get some ground for years without success and travel to the south for most of my stalking which is frustrating as I can see deer from my window on a clear day. It's interesting that this winter I've seen fallow where I've not seen them before so there may be a few more opportunities opening up.

Your best bet in North Wales might be over in the Dolgellau area where the deer in the Coed y Brenin are a little more widespread, there are fewer large estates and there are also a few roe getting in.

The other possibility is around the Clocaenog Forest but although I've been up and looked a round the forest several times I've never found much sign of more than the odd deer although to be fair I've been looking on the east side and I think they may be more over on the Brenig side.

Kent said:
I've got good ground around 6000 acres in Norfolk and as much as I want in North Devon and in the Black Isle area of Scotland but it's so far to travel

I think what you mean is you joined that funny syndicate were you pay a large fee up front then pay more again when you go, am i correct or are you just greedy? You would need a helicopter and a lot of free time to own all that stalking !

WOULD ONLY HAVE HAD TO OF MENTIONED GROUND IN DORSET AS WELL AND WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST LIKE (THAT FUNNY SYNDICATE.) :eek:

I think it's always best to have the facts, before you go off on one! and never to assume...
When it comes to stalking I'm very lucky and I appreciate it, I work with landowners and farmers everyday. I've never been a member of any of these so called syndicates and never knew they existed.
The reason I started stalking on the land in Norfolk was that the landowner couldn't get anyone to reliably control numbers. The local so called 'stalkers' would either shoot the stags for the trophy head or else cut the back end off and leave the rest there. As the farm grew I got more stalking. There was only ever one rule, what you shot you take away. The ground in Devon and Scotland is through stalking friends built up over the years. When you're travelling all the time with work and travelling at least five hours and more like seven up to the top of Scotland that's a long time and that's why I want ground closer to home. Maybe then I could give up some of the far away ground!
And I haven't got a helicopter!!!

I never came to this forum to justify myself in front of people I don't know from Adam. I'm lucky to have the amount of stalking I have and a job which allows me to travel and shoot all over the UK and abroad. The ground in Norfolk had never been 'managed' and when I first went there there were deer everywhere. This was obviously a problem to the landowner. Over the years the deer have been reduced to a more managable level. If you want to talk about so called management and people with too much ground you need to look at Ebay. I'm sure we've all seen the number of ads appearing especially in the Norfolk / Suffolk areas. The people behind this approach landowners offering to manage the deer population on their ground. Sometimes money is involved sometimes you actually have to pay them to do it. There is no 'management' involved, they either drop onto ground with the client and stalk and shoot whatever they see, or they put them in a high seat and pick them up an agreed number of hours later. Again they shoot what they see; not 'management'. These are the people we should be concerned about. Not those lucky enough to have a good amount of stalking. These are the people who are taking our sport to the masses, and putting stalking out of reach of the people who've been doing it since they could shoot a suitable rifle. I've even seen one ad say 'the perfect birthday present' !!!

Back