Complete beginner looking for help!!

marshall4323

Hi i wonder if anyone can help...

Im interested in getting my first 'deer dog' but to say i dont have a clue about tracking with dogs would be an understatement!!

I have plenty of experience with training and handling labs and springers since a young kid but really have no idea what to do to get started with a deer dog!

Can anyone recommend a good self teach option I.e books, dvds etc? Also what breed?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

jack

If you are experienced with labs I would suggest you stick with a lab. They make cracking tracking dogs. As for books I have Working dogs for deer by nils sondergaarten that's pretty good.

Thanks for the spelling of his name. I never get that right. It's a good book and his course is good too, but to be fair it is the only book I have on the subject.

I like his approach to starting the pup off, I don't use all his methods but its a handy reference and there are lots of bits in there about assessing the strike, shot placement, hair, reaction to shot etc etc that although should be bare bones basic stuff it never hurts to read them again.

Back