Thread: Make the grade

Make the grade

Hi seen a few springers from time to time that are advertised as good but didn't make the grade for trials. I do have an idea but just wanted to know what these cast offs from trialers don't have that top grade dogs doo?
    Last edited by Roebuck243; 14-11-2012 at 09:49.

I've often wondered that. These trialling boys seem to go through quite a lot of dogs before they settle on them. Maybe it's just personality clash??

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Probably brains. Not that springers have too much brain power anyway but if they even try to do something that the handler hasn't told them too then they're probably no good. example. Springer told to retrieve duck from across the water jumps in finds duck and then remembers bridge 100 yds away. Takes that instead of swimming back. Trailing fail but in my book a much better dog.

The cast off's don't make the grade for various reasons. Some might have a lack of drive, others a bit to thick others might just not have it in them to win, can be as simple as that. They should still make good dogs for the every day shooter. I've been considering a trail cast of as a second dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck243 View Post
    Hi seen a few springers from time to time that are advertised as good but didn't make the grade for trials. I do have an idea but just wanted to know what these cast offs from trialers don't have that top grade dogs doo?
    Nothing different in the way they are trained just often don't make the grade on the day ..it happens
    main problems are not stylish enough... Not hard hunting enough... Poor nose and misses game ... Sloppy retrieves ... bad initial training ...poor handling on the day.... Depends on the Judge as each judge has different views on what they expect on each run
    if buying an ex trialling dog I would like to see how it reacts in the field in a real life situ not what the handler/seller wants to show you
    I like to see water work... Rabbit work and some thing shot over it ...not a dummy
    i've seen quite a few trialing dogs who hav not made the grade , go on to win cups with a different owner/handler
    they are often a good route to getting a decently trained dog

Modern trialing springers bear no resemblance to working springers of not that long ago. I consider them to fast and manic for the average saturday gun. If you can find a good pup from a keepers working strain that has not been turbo charged you would be better off.

The last springer bitch I bought was fully trained by a trialling man and just didnt make the grade for trials. It just didnt have the extra gear required to be stylish enough to catch the judges attention. Best working dog I have owned, trained to a better level than I could achieve and does all I need and the breeding is there to start a line for myself next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Modern trialing springers bear no resemblance to working springers of not that long ago. I consider them to fast and manic for the average saturday gun. If you can find a good pup from a keepers working strain that has not been turbo charged you would be better off.
    Out of interest, in what way would you be better of ??

Quote Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
    The last springer bitch I bought was fully trained by a trialling man and just didnt make the grade for trials. It just didnt have the extra gear required to be stylish enough to catch the judges attention. Best working dog I have owned, trained to a better level than I could achieve and does all I need and the breeding is there to start a line for myself next year.
    This is the bigger picture
    starting a line of dogs from a reject
    personally I would get your own house in order ..no disrespect meant but get your own dogs upto a class to which you would be happy to breed from than buying one in and breeding it to **** because of a name
    if and when you do decide to mate ...choose wisely with help from those in the know and not those who think they are in the know
    a better line will be had