Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sewage slurry - deer repellant

sewage slurry - deer repellant

has anyone noticed any adverse effects on the numbers of deer on their ground due to the application of the economical fertilizer, aka - "sewage slurry". on ground near Reading, Berkshire where the owners have spread considerable amounts of the stuff on part of the estate, the result being the roe have moved off in great numbers and the fallow seem to be cut off and staying put on the neighbours ground.

hope this is only short term until its absorbed by nature, but worrying nevertheless as some quality animals have moved onto ground with management polices which differ from the way it should be done.

makes sense really, you wouldnt stay home if someone dumped in your house!

anyone else seen this?

My families farm has land on the flood plain and with all the water and flooding this year it has bought a lot is sewage up from the river. The land is always used for hay. But with the amount of effluent on the grass my brother has not cut it. When I asked why, the reply was cattle and sheep won't eat it.
    Make sence! So deer must be the same. If it smells bad it probably tastes bad too.

Common sense really would you eat your tea covered in sh--- !

on the plus side slurry is dynamite for foxes

are we talking normal bovine slurry?

Human slurry needs to be processed and spread under the surface doesnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    are we talking normal bovine slurry?

Human slurry needs to be processed and spread under the surface doesnt it?
    No not exactly.

Yes it has to be processed and it can be applied on the surface but has to be incorporated within 24 hours of application.

Thames Water dispose of the vast majority of their vast sludge mountain by this method, they deliver and spread it all over the South East of England, we use them here even though our local company is Anglian Water

I have never noticed any increase in foxes after sludge has been applied and we hardly have any deer.

ah, didnt know that
    Years ago they used to use soil conditioners with tubular plough shares so the slurry went in below the surface.
    Still stank!

Years ago a certain Highland Laird used Lion poo around his large garden to stop the roe deer eating his shrubs and it worked, as for humane sewage not sure, I do know that the pellets left behind from the WWTP is used on farm land but must be mixed with lime before ploughing in to the soil. We used to burn it at Longgannet power station to make electricity, however the EU banned it because it might pass heavy metals in to the atmosphere?! Nuf said.

Bod

they still spread sewage sludge liquid form on the land and the last time they did it on our land it took about 8 weks for the deer to start feeding again you had better pray for a lot of rain
    tom

Pray for rain and hope the human scent gets washed away! mind you that might take a flood in your case.