Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down .308

Cutting down .308

I know there is already a thread regards cutting down a .22lr but thought Id better start a seperate thread rather than Hi-jacking.

I am awaiting delivery of a new Anschutz 1780 .308. The barrel does not come screwcut and has open sights. I plan on getting the fore sight removed and the barrel screwcut, but this is going to leave 2 screw holes on the top of the barrel which will not be of any use as by the time it has been screwcut the fore sight will not be able to be re-fitted as it will hang off the end of the cut.

With this in mind I am thinking of removing 2" from the barrel in order to shorten it slightly and remove the 2 screw holes. My question is how short can you take a .308 before effecting ballistics of the round? The barrel is 22" when new.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Any reduction in length will have some impact, but cutting a 308 from 22 to 20" will have no practical effect on peformance.

I would cut away without concern.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Cheers Brian. I assumed so because I have seen other .308 rifles which are 20". Would you say that 20" is about as short as you would want to go? or could it go down to 18" and still burn all its powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Any reduction in length will have some impact, but cutting a 308 from 22 to 20" will have no practical effect on peformance.

I would cut away without concern.

I have seen rifles as short as 16", and they work without a doubt. I personally would not go much below 20" (I have a 260 and 30/06, both are 20.5" and a 19.5" 22/250). I might go as short as 18" on a 308, but no less. Combine this with a light Roedale mod and it will be a very handy package.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 14-11-2012 at 14:08.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I have seen rifles as short as 16", and they work without a doubt. I personally would not go much below 20" (I have a 260 and 30/06, both are 20.5" and a 19.5" 22/250). I might go as short as on a 308, but no less. Combine this with a light Roedale mod and it will be a very handy package.
    Looked into this a while ago when I was thinking of getting a .308 - 20" is fine apparently, and though 16" is also fine (and deer legal) a 16" barrel basically gives you the ballistics of an old 303 British but with the benefit of a very handy length. Not that I rate RPA as have heard some bad things about them, but they do reckon the best barrel to shorten is a .308 and they put theirs out at 16".

Cheers for the input guys. I think ill just go to 20", its a bit sorter, will remove the screw holes and maybe drop the weight an ounce or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Looked into this a while ago when I was thinking of getting a .308 - 20" is fine apparently, and though 16" is also fine (and deer legal) a 16" barrel basically gives you the ballistics of an old 303 British but with the benefit of a very handy length. Not that I rate RPA as have heard some bad things about them, but they do reckon the best barrel to shorten is a .308 and they put theirs out at 16".
    In the New Zealand Hunter they tested a Ruger cut down to 16". With 130gr TTSX it produced up to 3050 fps which is more like a 22" 270win.
    Trick was to use H335.
    edi

Here's a fella who's cut his 308. to 16" and it seems to do just fine out to 250yds.

http://www.sporting-rifle.com/features/get-shortie/

Atb, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

That has just stimulated my grey cells, does anyone know to what extent you can offset the loss of barrel length by moving to a faster powder. For example I usually use N140 in my 308 that used to be a 24 inch tube. As we speak Redmist is sharpening his hacksaw to shorten to 20". If I were to use a faster powder like N135 could I get the best of both worlds. Has anyone tried it??

Have a Howa 308 cut to 18", very accurate out to 300 with 45.5gr RL15 and 155 Amax (furthest i have shot it so far) knocks deer down ok too, lot more user friendly than when it was 24" plus mod. Never been chronoed.