level 2 started

mereside

managed to book a level 2 stalk today with yds so we set off in the truck this morning to a piece of ground as we pulled up started glassing the surrounding fields and spotted a couple of deer out in a field checked the wind was right and did all my checks before setting out on my first level 2 stalk as i headed down the side of the field with a hedge as a barrier trying to gain ground on the deer feeding away from us . i bumped a single doe layed down amongst a small cops ,bugger one away i was hoping she might just stop a little off but no she had gone , we carried on to where the deer had been heading it was a lovely piece of ground overlooking a nice steep bank and a load of scrub and trees.It looked perfect by this time they had gone out of sight so spent a while glassing the area for the hope of them appearing out into the dip. after a good while i spotted a doe against the trees and then a buck but there was also another just visible but couldnt get a fix on the sex so kept glassing till i could tell what it was ,perfect another doe after glassing for a while it appeared the two does where older does and a good weight so i was spoilt for choice really as both where on the cull list so i set my self up for a shot to present itself ,it was around the 120 mtr mark and now the first doe turned nicely and off went the 270 stutzen went a good strike she lept into the air and landed front feet first she went 10 yrds and collapsed it would have made exellent footage but john left the camera back at the van :doh: so only pictures this time which im sure he will post later.
whilst we waited john asked a series of questions on my next steps and after this i set off with john for the follow up and then on to the gralloch with more questions along the way , i have stalked with john for a few years now so was at ease from the start and thoughout the stalk so was well pleased to complete my first one , i would say to anyone wanting to do dsc be it 1 or 2 john has some exellent ground and you will feel at ease for either levels.
I am looking forward to posting my next step along the way to my level 2 and have been planning some stalks up north for a varied portfolio ,atb wayne

Last edited:
Well done Wayne good write up and good start with the level 2, in process of doing my level 2 just now too. Good luck and hope your enjoying it as much as I am. David

wayne2.jpg

and at the car.
009.jpg

i have seen you become a fully fledged stalker since you shot your first with me many years ago.
Well done today

Nice write up.

Good stalking with John, and some excellent ground.
Highly recommend him to anybody. :)

thanks guys , david loving it i really enjoy my stalking its great to be out and what i have found its great to learn from guys with many years of doing this i find it fascinating how the deer just emerge and melt away. It was really interesting today after the stutzen barked out how the other two stayed around and the buck even followed the blood trail to the doe and frayed a tree next to her and started happily eating away.
on this site i have met some superb people and everyone has shown me many things . john over the years and i have learned so much and loved the journey , there has been many memorable stalks with you thanks for everything,ps plenty more to learn
atb wayne

I know what you mean Wayne its my main attraction to deer stalking and why I enjoy it so much, no 2 stalks are the same and there's so much to learn from others keeps you on your toes.
Regards David

Well done Wayne.

I have my portfolio next to me as I type. Just going through it and will go from there.

I for one can manage when I do it on my own BUT once somebody watches you it all goes Pete Tong. Aghhhhhhhh.

Have yet to do a witnessed stalk so just getting in the practice first.

Good luck with the other stalks

ATB
Jonathon

Hi Mereside,
Congratulations on your first Level 2 stalk. i completed my level 2 with John of YDS earlier this year and cannot recommend him highly enough - your in good hands. I see from your photographs that Breeze had a day off, she deserves it, great dog.
Good luck with the rest of the stalks and keep the write ups and pics coming,
Willie

Back