Long Shots?

captdavid

In most of Texas, most deer are shot far short of 200yds. If I had to guess most are shot around 100yds or so. I have hunted and killed, on average, two or three deer a year for 50 years. All were shot under 300yds except one (310yds). Several were shot 250-300yds, a few more 200-250yds. Quite a few were shot 150-200yds. The vast majority between 50-150yds FWIW, I've never missed over 200yds, but have missed under that. A few were equipment failures, most were the 'hand of God.' It couldn't be me, hehe. `
I consider anything up to around 200yds a decent distance to shoot. 200-300yds is taken with some consideration. I would really have to think before I shoot much over 300yds. FWIW 90% of the deer are shot from wooden stands(blinds,) what I believe you call high seats or doe boxes. What shots do you consider long? capt david

On a purely personal note I wouldn't worry about shooting Roe up to 250-300yds but not really over that unless I had a very steady place to shoot from ie. a highseat.Saying all of that most of the Deer shot by myself and I would guess most stalkers in this country are taken below 100yds

Martin

now theres a tin of worms capitano!

Were lucky in the UK to have different terrains to stalk different species over, from dense woodland for roe and muntjac to open hill for red deer. You would be very unlikely to see a shot over 100yds in woodland stalking and conversely it would be very unusual to take a shot at a red deer on the open hill at less than 50yds. Obviously thought and consideration is given to the equipment used depending on terrain and quarry. A rangefinder is invaluable on the hill or large open areas and also a rifle is more likely to be zeroed at 200yds whereas most people who stalk in woodland areas zero at 100yds and generally wouldnt have much use for a rangefinder.

I suppose in answer to your question, a 'long shot' would be different ranges to different people for reasons of quarry, terrain, equipment and ability.

...I suppose in answer to your question, a 'long shot' would be different ranges to different people for reasons of quarry, terrain, equipment and ability.

Agree. Time of day, time of year and the weather are also important. Shooting a roe buck on a sunny summer morning bears little comparison to pursuing hinds on a winter's afternoon. I've turned and walked away from hinds a few times. Regards JCS

Back