Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Management Software

Deer Management Software

I have started playing around with developing some Deer Management software.

At the moment it is designed around my requirements, what I would be interested to hear what you guys would like to see if this was to be made public.

At the moment I have:

Cull Sheet Register
    High Seat Register

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    Ha
    Care to share why you find this so entertaining?

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    I have started playing around with developing some Deer Management software.

At the moment it is designed around my requirements, what I would be interested to hear what you guys would like to see if this was to be made public.

At the moment I have:

Cull Sheet Register
    High Seat Register

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    you coud add, species, results of grollach,sightings,larder weights, reaction to shot! not sure if those idea's are any help
    Last edited by gentleman jim; 15-11-2012 at 21:37. Reason: spelling

I suppose it all depends on what you want it to do. If its a collection of spread sheets thats one thing. If its going to be an all signing all dancing software package then you would want to be able to link it to some sort of mapping program. Link your highseat register to your risks assesments / maintenance schedule. Your Deer Management plan to locations of any SSSi's, new plantings boundries etc. You would most likely want it to be able to draw data from the idividual cull sheets into some form of report to give you a quick reference of species, sex, age, condition, weight and disposal (game dealer / price realised) and to be able to compare this with previous years and against target cull figures. If its going to be for more that one persons records than you might want to be able to link your cull records to your mapping to show which areas produce the most deer and at which time of the year. This could be then over laid with details of the type of crops present to see if this has the effect that we sometimes beleive it does (i.e. that you always seem to shoot more deer where the beans have been planted).
    It alos all really depends on what you intend to do with the software. From previous there is not a massive market for this product so its going to be more for the love of the challange of developing it than for making your fortune....

There is similar Polish software. You could add similar features for different species, say you counted 100 roe in March, depending on your cull plan figures what would be your roe deer numbers, sex ratio etc in 1, 5, 10 years time. Same for red deer, etc.

It could also work the other way round. Your population in 2:1 does to bucks, and majority of bucks are young, how should your cull plan look like to have 1:1 sex ratio and natural age structure in 5 years time.
    Last edited by glogin; 16-11-2012 at 10:57.

Cull record should include:
    Hunter
    Date
    Time
    Weather Conditions
    Tag number and map reference

The FC use such a system and it populates a map with the exact location where deer were culled and it is fascinating looking back at different years

Mark gilchrist has developed some software that uses gps from a iPhone to record data. Think it was on fieldsportschanneltv . Looks interesting. I use a spreadsheet with date species sex weight calibre and shot placement for all my deer cull records along with tag number
    Atb Steve

It's pretty much out there anyway, if its just a format to generate the paper records.
    We record date ,grid location,tag number, stalker,guest ,sex ,antler points,pregnant/lactating/yeld, lenght of back , kidney wieghts fat on/off,hill wieght, larder wieght ,ticks,fluke, lungworm, estimated age,actual age , abnormalities , comments. Also pic of stags head with each stag record.
    Then it is entered on excel spread sheet and you can do pretty much what you. Keeping good records is interesting and the longer you do it the more value it has.

My feeling on this is if we are all to reach a state of competence written down buy SNH and SI then a universal soft ware package would be the answer writen by the Deer Sector.