Thread: Deer weight definition

Deer weight definition

I am wondering if there is any standard definition of deer weights. When you sell a beast then the price is based on cleaned carcars in the fur with heads and legs off- no problem with that but I often see reference to deer weighing 14 16 17 stone particularly in Scotland. Would that be on same basis or with Heads and legs on? Its just that I shot a hind last night in Suffolk which had a carcarse weight of 125 lbs ie 8stone 13lbs which seems quite a bit less than the weights above. I can tell you that it was a B****R to get it up into the back of the Hilux. Glad it wasnt a stag!

I would say she was a young animal, hind weights for me of average age are normally around mid 80kg range and some a bit more, yearling hind perhaps?

biggest stag weight I've had was close to 330lb or 150kg, now that was hard to shift!
    Last edited by deerstalker.308; 15-11-2012 at 18:59.

Gowing through school just when metric was coming in and going to work with stalkers only working in stones and pounds, i now take the hill wieghts ( gralloched, jacket on ,pluck in, head and legs on) in imperial and larder wieghts (jacket on,pluck out ,head and legs,off, ribs and pelvis split ) in kilo's. The larder wieghts always loose a bit in the chill as the carcass dry's and cools so the game dealers wieghts usually track just under the recorded larder wieght if you have to hang onto a carcass for a while in the chill it can loose a surprising amount of wieght.

Chiron

Your question is a wee bit vague, can you specify exactly what you are asking? Is it a rough weight expectancy for a particular species and sex in specific areas? Or are you simply asking what carcass state the weights refer to?

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    Gowing through school just when metric was coming in and going to work with stalkers only working in stones and pounds, i now take the hill wieghts ( gralloched, jacket on ,pluck in, head and legs on) in imperial and larder wieghts (jacket on,pluck out ,head and legs,off, ribs and pelvis split ) in kilo's. The larder wieghts always loose a bit in the chill as the carcass dry's and cools so the game dealers wieghts usually track just under the recorded larder wieght if you have to hang onto a carcass for a while in the chill it can loose a surprising amount of wieght.
    Yes like you we always weighed twice imperial weight with only green gralloch done then larder weight in Kilos
    On the odd occasion when a beast had to be left on the hill overnight, the old stalkers used to reckon on loosing a 1lb for every stone in weight.

308 you have some big hinds overthere must be the good crops, here in the forest they live on grass and weeds
    weight for hinds has been between 50 and 62 kgs cold weight skin on, we don,t shoot many big stags mainly staggys go 56 to 68kgs and the stags we have had are around the 250 lb mark all weighed cold

I was quering when you see estates saying their deer upto say 17 stone which I imagine is " hill weight" as defined above by pitiliedon. How ever the larder weight is what I work to on the estate I stalk. The hind I shot was the first Red shot on there. I was told to shoot it on sight as it had been hammering all the pheasant feeders and game cover- stomach full of grain. She was in good condition having been feasting on maize , wheat and sugar beet tops. She was at least 2 years old having been in milk this year.

In the area the OP is in the normal larder weights for calves range between 80-145lbs