Thread: reloading for .243 or 6.5x55

reloading for .243 or 6.5x55

ok quick question, whats the price diffrence for each of these rounds if i was to reload, mainly shooting fallow, just trying to find out the pro and cons of each round to give me an idea of what calibre to go for , any info much appreciated fellas

Just having a quick look and assuming Varget as I have data for it in both there seems to be about 4 grains difference between a book max 100 grain bullet load for the 243 and a book max 120 grain load for the 6.5.

I pay £45 per pound for power last lot I bought so that works out at the 6.5 being about 2.5 pence more expensive.

100 grain bullets for the 243 are around 23p each with 120 grain 6.5 bullets around 28p each but I'd guess if you shop around you might find the price difference reversed in some places plus your taste in bullets might vary.

My guess is that the 6.5 might cost you a fraction more but in the real world it will not mount up to more than loading 19 in 6.5 for the cost of loading 20 in 243 and a small change in pricing from a local supplier could easily reverse that.

In terms of pros or cons my advice is to visit some local RFDs and see what components they have in stock for each and go with the cartridge that will give you the best supply of components that you will want to use. If you are settled on 243 or 6.5X55 then that makes your task much easier and you should soon have a clear picture of which will be easier to feed.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Caorach what is the cost per round primer, powder, head no case as got loads of cases.

It all depends on what you are paying for components. The price of bullets for example can vary widely depending on what you use, and where you get them from.

As a guide I load for 308Win and use Nosler Partitions but I bought them along with a lot of Hornady Spire Points and so only know the price per bullet averaged over that whole lot which comes out around 29p. The truth is that you'll not buy a Partition for 29p but I only know the average figure. I can't remember what the primers I have cost me but think it was around 3.5p each and I use 46.3 grains per load and my powder is costing me £45 per pound which comes to nearly 30p per round for powder. That all comes out at about 62.5p per load.

Powder here is expensive but on the other hand the Nosler Partitions are nearer £1 a pop than 29p so my calculations will be on the low side for bullets but I would guess that figure would be a good guideline for most of the deer legal centrefire rounds shooting a non-premium bullet.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Well for 6.5 I'd say about 60p a round not including a case. Don't reload 243 but 22.250 would only be 10P cheaper and that is only because my rifle likes remington core lokt 55gn HP that are £10 per 100. But to be honest if you are considering these few pence and it would make a difference to your overall finances you must be shooting a hell of a lot of deer that you have to give away so make no return or you must be missing a hell of alot of shots. I expect it is neither in which case just buy the rifle you like the feel of and look of the best, that you feel confident will do the job you are expecting of it and is suitable for your intended use, and you wont go far wrong. If any of the other two scenario's are relevant give me a call and I'd love to come shoot some for you and I won't charge you a penny.
    Happy hunting.
    PS. I love my 6.5 very little recoil, good bullet choice, never had a runner YET.

I use 43 grains of H4350 for my 243 and 45 for my 6.5 primers will be the same price, as for the difference in the brass and bullets it has to be too small to worry about. I should imagine that either round would suit your needs, with perhaps the 6.5 giving you greater flexibility with regard to shooting heavier bullets. I personally would go for the 6.5 as the more appropriate choice, based on ballistics as opposed to cost.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I use HPS-TR to reload my own Federal 6.5x55mm brass... They use 46.7 grains of N160 to push a 140gr Hornady SST at 2,660fps and charge me £1 per round on a min order of 100.

Now, I know that I could do this more cheaply if I were to do it myself, but as stated in previous posts, I really don't have the time, this inclination or the desire to try, and am happy knowing that for no more than 20% more, i am getting a very, very reliable round, fully spec'd to my own individual rifle.

It's a stonking calibre, and once you get a recipe for your own rifle, you'll have a hoot grouping sub 1/2" @100yds!

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by iainfarthing View Post
    I use HPS-TR to reload my own Federal 6.5x55mm brass... They use 46.7 grains of N160 to push a 140gr Hornady SST at 2,660fps and charge me £1 per round on a min order of 100.

Now, I know that I could do this more cheaply if I were to do it myself, but as stated in previous posts, I really don't have the time, this inclination or the desire to try, and am happy knowing that for no more than 20% more, i am getting a very, very reliable round, fully spec'd to my own individual rifle.

It's a stonking calibre, and once you get a recipe for your own rifle, you'll have a hoot grouping sub 1/2" @100yds!

Cheers
    iain
    thanks fellas thats great info think im going to take your advice and go for the 6.5, just been undecided about it, thanks again