Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Day Rifle Seaon 2012 in Virginia USA

First Day Rifle Seaon 2012 in Virginia USA

I hunted our property in the morning and evening and a friend was hunting another friends property !
    In the AM I didn't see anything . But my buddy popped a 8 pointer with his 280 at about 8 AM .

Later about 1PM I got a text message from him that he got another and this one was a rather decent 10 pointer .

This evening behind my house on our property I got a couple slicks right at last legal shooting time . Shot them with my Marlin "Retro 444P" shooting my MM/RD 432-325GC bullet pushed with XMR2015 and set off with a CCI200 primer !
    Also had the new to me Weaver V4.5 scope on top !
    First deer for that bullet and first deer using the new to me Weaver !

That looks like a good first day, well done. Any close up pics of your rifles?
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Here's a picture of my Marlin "Retro 444P" just after I had chopped the barrel , reblued the metal and refinished the wood . It also has a nice old Weaver K3 on top where as now it's wearing a Weaver V4.5 .

The mold I had Mountain Molds cut loosely based on Ranch Dog's designs as far as the nose is concerned and using conventional lube grooves .

The bullet as cast and as sized and lubed with the gas check attached !

And the bullet on my old powder scale .

My friend shot both his bucks with his old Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 REM gun has a old Leupold Vari XII 2-7 on top . He shoots handloads I make for him using the Nosler 140 Ballistic Tip and IMR4350 set off with a CCI200 primer . Sorry to say I don't have any pics of his rifle . The pics of the two bucks were sent to me vis his phone .

My friend bought his 280 used about 30 years ago and bought the scope used at about the same time .

If you notice on the scale my bullet lubed sized and ready to load weighs 324.5 grains , I was aiming for a bullet of 325 grains plus or minus two grains . I'd say the folks at Mountain Molds are right on time when you ask them to cut a mold !

This is the third mold I've had them cut for me . They did my first set of 44 cal 375 and 400 grain gas check molds !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 18-11-2012 at 00:49.

Thanks for sharing i find it fascinating how others hunt around the world with different cals . looks fantastic ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    My friend bought his 280 used about 30 years ago and bought the scope used at about the same time .

If you notice on the scale my bullet lubed sized and ready to load weighs 324.5 grains , I was aiming for a bullet of 325 grains plus or minus two grains . I'd say the folks at Mountain Molds are right on time when you ask them to cut a mold !

This is the third mold I've had them cut for me . They did my first set of 44 cal 375 and 400 grain gas check molds !
    That is some sized bullet! Over here I would guess that most deer are shot with bullets under 160grain. What distance do you zero the scope at and at what distance are you shooting the deer at?
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Quote Originally Posted by dave1372 View Post
    That is some sized bullet! Over here I would guess that most deer are shot with bullets under 160grain. What distance do you zero the scope at and at what distance are you shooting the deer at?
    Over here I expect the majority are killed with bullets of 160 grains or less also .

And if I am hunting with one of my single shot Ruger's or some bolt action in all likelyhood my bullets will follow the same thing . However I have a number of these 444's and I try different cast bulets just for the heck of it . In the 444 I've used home cast bullets from 207 grains up to 420 grains . Certainly not a need for it just something I like to do from time to time .

As to sight in they all get sighted in dead on at 100 yards . The typical long shot where I hunt on my property behind our home and where we Damage Control hunt for black bear is about 75 yards .

Last year I christened my circa 2001 Marlin 444 . This one has a Ballard rifled barrel with a 1-20 twist , I got this one to shoot 390 grain plus bullets exclusively !

And when I shot this buck I was using a bullet cast from a mold I had BRP cut a year before . It was also a design take off of the Ranch Dog line of bullets and is a 432-400GC .

My 2001 rifle after we resticked it and put in the crossbar safety delete kit .

Here's the bullet mold for the BRP/RD 432-400GC .

And the finished product !

I have four molds exclusively for this circa 2001 faster twist rifle .

And before you say it , no there is no practical "need" for bullets of this weight where I live . But "need" left the equation many years ago . No one "needs" to hunt to survive anylonger . Hunting now is almost 100% because a person "wants to" .