Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which is better, quad sticks or tripod sticks?

which is better, quad sticks or tripod sticks?

I was wondering what the views are out there on active stalking preferences for sticks of the quad variety vs. fixed rest height tripod versions of sticks. Each makes for a certain hassle in setting up, each has its shooting advantages: Quads seem good from the point of resting the rifle fore and aft while tripods might have one rest but some can swivel. Both need practice to use comfortably and quickly.

Personally I wouldn't want to carry either whilst stalking they can make too much noise and not much gain over using more conventional twin sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstep View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want to carry either whilst stalking they can make too much noise and not much gain over using more conventional twin sticks
    I don't agree. Since I was shown quad sticks 8 years ago, my success rate at roe, especially in the summer has gone up considerably. I wouldn't go back to twin sticks. Regards JCS

I used to demo the sticks at the game fairs... they are easy to use once u get the hang of the....

stability is great, can be noisy if you don't join them together when carrying them.

had mine for 4 years... just snapped them this weekend!!!

I am not sure it makes any difference

the key is practice. a lot of it

I shoot rabbits a lot off twin sticks as I need to put them up and down quickly quietly and up to 50 times a night
    I shoot foxes off quad sticks as I often have a longer time to prepare the positioning or staking out

I do use twin sticks when shooting roe but the majority of shots are well under 100yds (last one was 20 odd!)
    longer shots off twin sticks I would advocate the use of trees, fence posts etc to lean your body against

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I am not sure it makes any difference

the key is practice. a lot of it

I shoot rabbits a lot off twin sticks as I need to put them up and down quickly quietly and up to 50 times a night
    I shoot foxes off quad sticks as I often have a longer time to prepare the positioning or staking out

I do use twin sticks when shooting roe but the majority of shots are well under 100yds (last one was 20 odd!)
    longer shots off twin sticks I would advocate the use of trees, fence posts etc to lean your body against
    agree with above

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences... It seems that twin sticks make sense for shorter ranges, that is 100yds or less generally. And quad sticks are better for longer range, up to 200yds or so. I guess the quads can be used as a twin stick too?

Looks like I will be investing in a pair of quads..

I use twin sticks with a length of rope looped over the top and trailed with my foot on the other end = tri-pod !!
    I carry more than one length of rope as once one animal is shot, it can be hung for collection later or if I so choose can use the rope as a drag rope.

roe, twin sticks. reds, one stick just for support when walking. objective is to get good enough off hand to leave the twin sticks at home, but that may be a few more years

I only use twin sticks fox ones thicker and quite stable the only draw back i see to quads is if you need to go from standing to sitting and they dont work then as they are too long but i have seen sets in use stood and they perform well but for my stalking are not what i need i do like the look of the ones limulus makes ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports