Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which bullet gives best weight retention on impact ?

which bullet gives best weight retention on impact ?

hi all,
    im wondering if anyone can advise me "not after a personal choice heated debate opinion" on bullet brands that give the best weight retention on impact please, or point me in the direction of some internet info on the subject cheers.
    kind regards
    jimmy

I don't use them but have been told that the Barnes X bullets often retain almost all their weight. I believe that at very high velocities they might shed the "petals" that mushroom out at the front but at lower velocities these often stay attached and so almost all the weight is retained.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I don't use them but have been told that the Barnes X bullets often retain almost all their weight. I believe that at very high velocities they might shed the "petals" that mushroom out at the front but at lower velocities these often stay attached and so almost all the weight is retained.
    many thanks caorach ill look into them, and by the way ive just been on the link at the bottom of your post and that place looks fantastic, do you allow dogs if they sleep outside in the car ?
    regards
    jimmy

Calibre, weight, velocity, distance and what you intend to use them on would help narrow down the choice as there are a lot of bullets out there designed to do a specific job.
    have a look at terminal ballistics reseach at WWW. ballisticstudies.com some excellent info on there for a lot of different calibres.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    hi all,
    im wondering if anyone can advise me "not after a personal choice heated debate opinion" on bullet brands that give the best weight retention on impact please, or point me in the direction of some internet info on the subject cheers.
    kind regards
    jimmy
    Barns TSX
    Hornady Interbonds
    Winchester Fail Safe
    Swift A Frame (95%)
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 18-11-2012 at 15:27.

My own choice is swift scirocco II which seem to perform very well with very good weight retention but, as mentioned by previous contributors, there are other worthy contenders.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Without a doubt in the world the Woodleigh Hydrostatics do
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Having read a fair bit on ballisticstudies.com , see above, it seems that impact velocity plays a huge role in determining performance. Something which will perform well at close range through a standard velocity cartridge may well blow up at magnum velocity, the same projectile at longer range may work well in the magnum and not expand at all from a standard cartridge. Go on the site and look up your own cartridge and see what is recommended.

As Caorach posted above - Barnes X -from nose to tail or tail to nose nothing stops them just peel back like a banana and straight on through. Not great for stopping things on the spot but the dog enjoys tracking.

Thought the 150gr Federal Fusions did a great job. ~60yds spinal shot 84% retained weight. 250m heart/lung shot, 94%. The rest I retrieved were inbetween.
    I think the utmost priority must be given to put an animal out of it's misery as fast as possible. Not to produce a bit of fun for the dog or save a pound of meat.
    edi