16" Barrel or 20" Barrel

Lucky Sniper

Might be a simple question but thought I would ask. Whats the pro's and con's of each barrel. I have been looking for a 16" .22LR but have come across a 20" barrel that the chap wants rid quick and it's a good price so got me thinking are there any advantages for having a 20" barrel

Personally I prefer the shorter barrel, and ballistically, fps accuracy etc etc it will not make any noticeable difference whatsoever with a 22LR (assuming its been cut down professionally).

ATB

Tom

Personally I prefer the shorter barrel, and ballistically, fps accuracy etc etc it will not make any noticeable difference whatsoever with a 22LR (assuming its been cut down professionally).

ATB

Tom

+1 plus the other advantage of a shorter barrel is they are easier and nicer to shoot from a vehicle

Thanks Spud and Thomas that was my thinking but prefer it to come from people who have more knowledge than me. So why do some rifles (.22) have different lengths if there is not much difference?

i dont thnk there is a particular reason really unless you start comparing match .22 with .22 designed for vermin and plinking

i suppose its desgined for a particular use

see: Internal Ballistics

As the bullet moves down the bore and the gas pressure behind it decreases there will come a time--with a sufficiently long barrel-- that the bore friction and the air pressure in front of the bullet will equal the pressure behind it. At that point velocity will start to decrease. With the .22 rimfire that point is reached in about 14" - 16" of barrel. Beyond that length no velocity increase occurs, and in fact the bullet can slow down, but the extra length may be useful for other things such as increased sight radius or legal requirements.

hi .i have got a 16 inch my mate got 22inch .same gun .his gun is better on long range and accuracy.

I had mine cut down from 22 inch to 16 inches and all was fine, no loss of accuracy at all.
A while later I had it cut again to 12 1/2 inches, same story, in the future I would only have a longer
.22lr if it was for use on foot and with no moderator as the extra length does help with holding steady to the point of aim.
(as does a heavy moderator on a short barrel)

Neil. :)

Back