Country file, lynx

6.5/284matt

Just been on country file about reintroducing the lynx to Scotland and one of the reasons was to control deer numbers and then showed a herd of reds and a large fallow buck. Could a lynx really tackle a red, I'd of thought they'd have even struggled with a fit calve.
Enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Matt.

lynx wipe out roe and it's that simple but target anything roe sized or smaller so that's red calves, young fallow, young sika and right down to voles. They are not a great way to help your roe population!

can you put them on your ticket?

Already on my ticket.

9. The firearms and ammunition including expanding ammunition or missiles of such ammunition to which this certificate relates may also be used in connection with:
(a) the lawful shooting of deer;
(b) the shooting of vermin or in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife;
(c) the humane killing of animals;
(d) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

So, I could "take my pick" on the day.

Prey class selection and kill rates by lynx Lynx lynx were studied in the Swiss Jura Mountains from March 1988 until May 1998 to evaluate the signif- icance of lynx predation for roe deer Capreolus capreolus and chamois Rupi- capra rupicapra. We found clear differences in the kill rates and prey class selec- tion between lynx of different age, sex and breeding status. Male lynx killed more chamois than female lynx, and chamois was never found in kill series of subadult lynx. Family groups had the highest kill rate. They killed an ungu- late every 5.0 days, compared to an average of 6.2-6.6 days for single lynx. During our 10-year study, the density of independent lynx was rather stable, ranging within 0.94-1.01 individuals/100 km2. Based on the observed kill rates and the estimated lynx population structure we calculated that lynx killed 354 ± 13 roe deer and 87 ± 13 chamois annually in the 710 km2 study area. The magnitude of lynx predation on roe deer and chamois was primarily shaped by the lynx population structure. A decline in the number of resident male lynx reduced the number of chamois killed in the study area by 3 of the previous number due to the difference in prey selection of male and female lynx. There was a differ- ence in the most frequently killed age and sex classes between roe deer and cham- ois: lynx killed more male chamois (39%) than females or fawns, whereas in roe deer, does (38%) were most often killed. By altering adult survival, lynx preda- tion has a significant impact on prey population dynamics. Lynx killed a maxi- mum of 9% of the roe deer and 11% of the chamois spring population. Consid- ering the differences in the recruitment potential of the two prey species, lynx has a greater impact on chamois than on roe deer.

Prey class selection and kill rates by lynx Lynx lynx were studied in the Swiss Jura Mountains from March 1988 until May 1998 to evaluate the signif- icance of lynx predation for roe deer Capreolus capreolus and chamois Rupi- capra rupicapra. We found clear differences in the kill rates and prey class selec- tion between lynx of different age, sex and breeding status. Male lynx killed more chamois than female lynx, and chamois was never found in kill series of subadult lynx. Family groups had the highest kill rate. They killed an ungu- late every 5.0 days, compared to an average of 6.2-6.6 days for single lynx. During our 10-year study, the density of independent lynx was rather stable, ranging within 0.94-1.01 individuals/100 km2. Based on the observed kill rates and the estimated lynx population structure we calculated that lynx killed 354 ± 13 roe deer and 87 ± 13 chamois annually in the 710 km2 study area. The magnitude of lynx predation on roe deer and chamois was primarily shaped by the lynx population structure. A decline in the number of resident male lynx reduced the number of chamois killed in the study area by 3 of the previous number due to the difference in prey selection of male and female lynx. There was a differ- ence in the most frequently killed age and sex classes between roe deer and cham- ois: lynx killed more male chamois (39%) than females or fawns, whereas in roe deer, does (38%) were most often killed. By altering adult survival, lynx preda- tion has a significant impact on prey population dynamics. Lynx killed a maxi- mum of 9% of the roe deer and 11% of the chamois spring population. Consid- ering the differences in the recruitment potential of the two prey species, lynx has a greater impact on chamois than on roe deer.

Does it alter the equation if you take chamois out of the frame?

Interesting....one segment of the programme was all about putting Exmoor ponies on ground...... to stop trees becoming established. Another was about encouraging Lynxes(?) so they would eat deer ...to stop deer preventing establishment of trees. Ironic...or am I just a cynic?

Of course, I suppose the upside of a Lynx population is that they would help us defeat the illegal introduction of nasty little muntjacs?

They said one would eat 50-60 roe a year :eek: get a few of them about and they will soon sort them out !!

They said one would eat 50-60 roe a year :eek: get a few of them about and they will soon sort them out !!

Of course the ones they introduce to the UK would be 5 times better then the swiss ones :rofl:

I cant see how the Lynx would manage to restrict it's diet to only roe in the forest.

Of course the ones they introduce to the UK would be 5 times better then the swiss ones :rofl:

I cant see how the Lynx would manage to restrict it's diet to only roe in the forest.
yes they are trained to leave lambs and calves alone

My answer to this is the same as to all calls for the introduction of some animal into "the wilds of Scotland."

In the first instance there should be a 5 year trial introduction of the lynx into the London parks as the problems facing such an introduction are the same in England as they are in Scotland and so it would be best to carry out such a thing in an area where most people support the introduction of lynx.

After that consideration can be given to a trail in Scotland.

Interesting, but where there any sheep in the study area....

Back