Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: barrel chop

  1. #1

    barrel chop

    does anyone know if you can chop the barrel on a remi 700 22 250 without suffering twist rate velocity etc

    thnks

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulse View Post
    does anyone know if you can chop the barrel on a remi 700 22 250 without suffering twist rate velocity etc

    thnks
    It's not possible to chop any barrel without losing some velocity! But you need to think about will you notice any loss of fps! I don't know what kind of chop your thinking 6'' 4'' etc. But I had my 243 chopped last year from 26'' to a 22'' and it has no made no noticible difference, I have probably lost at most 150 fps but the pros well out way the cons! It's lighter,easier to carry fits into the vehicle better, better to shoot when your not able to get on the bi-pod, but as I don't shoot much past 300 yard it has only had a positive on my shooting, but if I was using the rifle for 1000 yard then my opinion would probably be very different, as you would be trying to sweeze every bit from your cartridge hope this helps anyhow

    rob

  3. #3
    I wouldn't go any shorter then 22 inches on 22/250

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    I wouldn't go any shorter then 22 inches on 22/250
    Any reason ?

  5. #5
    Yep I like to keep speed up. After all thats what the 22/250 is good at. If you want a short barrel rifle. Get a 223 with 20 inch barrel.

  6. #6
    You will loose approx 100fps per inch chopped. For me though i would look at how it will help balance the rifle. FPS is important but a well balanced rifle is more so for me. At the end of the day if you reload then you can change pwders to the likes of reloader 17 to increase fps back to what it was pre-chop.

    Ads

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by auquhollie View Post
    You will loose approx 100fps per inch chopped. For me though i would look at how it will help balance the rifle. FPS is important but a well balanced rifle is more so for me. At the end of the day if you reload then you can change pwders to the likes of reloader 17 to increase fps back to what it was pre-chop.

    Ads
    Its more like 30-40fps Lost per inch removed. Using a faster powder can work to regain your velocity, but that doesn't necessarily mean that accuracy will still be there.

Similar Threads

  1. barrel chop job !
    By leec6.5 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29-06-2012, 12:18
  2. who can chop a barrel ?
    By Devil_Bri in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-03-2012, 22:52
  3. R93 Barrel Chop
    By EMcC in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 11:18
  4. N/East barrel chop and screw cut
    By rooster in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29-04-2011, 18:24
  5. Barrel chop .243
    By Leon in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 28-08-2010, 08:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •