barrel chop

Hulse

does anyone know if you can chop the barrel on a remi 700 22 250 without suffering twist rate velocity etc

thnks

does anyone know if you can chop the barrel on a remi 700 22 250 without suffering twist rate velocity etc

thnks

It's not possible to chop any barrel without losing some velocity! But you need to think about will you notice any loss of fps! I don't know what kind of chop your thinking 6'' 4'' etc. But I had my 243 chopped last year from 26'' to a 22'' and it has no made no noticible difference, I have probably lost at most 150 fps but the pros well out way the cons! It's lighter,easier to carry fits into the vehicle better, better to shoot when your not able to get on the bi-pod, but as I don't shoot much past 300 yard it has only had a positive on my shooting, but if I was using the rifle for 1000 yard then my opinion would probably be very different, as you would be trying to sweeze every bit from your cartridge hope this helps anyhow

rob

Yep I like to keep speed up. After all thats what the 22/250 is good at. If you want a short barrel rifle. Get a 223 with 20 inch barrel.

You will loose approx 100fps per inch chopped. For me though i would look at how it will help balance the rifle. FPS is important but a well balanced rifle is more so for me. At the end of the day if you reload then you can change pwders to the likes of reloader 17 to increase fps back to what it was pre-chop.

Ads

You will loose approx 100fps per inch chopped. For me though i would look at how it will help balance the rifle. FPS is important but a well balanced rifle is more so for me. At the end of the day if you reload then you can change pwders to the likes of reloader 17 to increase fps back to what it was pre-chop.

Ads

Its more like 30-40fps Lost per inch removed. Using a faster powder can work to regain your velocity, but that doesn't necessarily mean that accuracy will still be there.

Back