finally a 308 load im happy with (ta mike norris for advise)

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys

ive tried all sorts of bullet weights/types in my (308 browning xbolt 20" barrel) but never been quite happy with it, thats until i went to see mike at brock and norris rifles for some reloading consumables.

and i asked him for some advise on a good 308 deer load and his response was a very quick one, this is what i use in my 308 give it a go he says

180 grain sierra sbt (code2160)
44.3 grains of LOVEX S065 powder
federal large rifle magnum primer
OAL 2.825
im using a hornady match case but mike would proberly use laupa ??

Anyway it shoots great not too fast at 2302 fps but speed not everything is it.

i will be sticking with this load to shoot everything from muntjac to reds

below is two shots at 150 yards

ATB Dave

Last edited:
Hi Guys

ive tried all sorts of bullet weights/types in my (308 browning xbolt 20" barrel) but never been quite happy with it, thats until i went to see mike at brock and norris rifles for some reloading consumables.

and i asked him for some advise on a good 308 deer load and his response was a very quick one, this is what i use in my 308 give it a go he says

180 grain sierra sbt (code2160)
44.3 grains of LOVEX S065 powder
federal large rifle magnum primer
OAL 2.825
im using a hornady match case but mike would proberly use laupa ??

Anyway it shoots great not too fast at 2302 fps but speed not everything is it.

i will be sticking with this load to shoot everything from muntjac to reds

below is two shots at 150 yards

ATB Dave

Of course you will stalking the Reds in England and not Scotland unless you wish to fall foul of the law ;) .

Of course you will stalking the Reds in England and not Scotland unless you wish to fall foul of the law ;) .

I must be missing something. He's using a .308" 180gr soft-point (expanding) bullet with a MV of 2300fps delivering 3100 ft-lbs at the muzzle. Why would that not comply with Scottish law for red deer?

-JMS

I must be missing something. He's using a .308" 180gr soft-point (expanding) bullet with a MV of 2300fps delivering 3100 ft-lbs at the muzzle. Why would that not comply with Scottish law for red deer?

-JMS

You are missing something !
Scottish law for Red Deer states minimums of 2450 FPS velocity, 1750 Foot Pounds of muzzle energy and 100 Grains bullet weight.

HWH.

-JMS

It's really surprising how many do NOT know the law here :eek:. It's amazing that many retain their certificates.

223, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Minimum velocity applies to Scotland only. 180 grain bullet doing 2302fps equates to 2117 ft/lbs ME (by my reckoning), so well legal for England and Wales. Only problem might be when your wealthy great uncle invites you to his estate in Scotlandshire for a day on the stags you might suddenly find yourself having to work up a different load & re-zero to stay legal. If that's improbable then it's not an issue.

brithunter i live in england and all my stalking is in england thankyou

Good luck with your stalking. I look forwards to reading about any success or even the outings :) .

Once we get the car all sorted out and can gather some money together I too hopefully will be arranging an outing or two in England. Roe or Muntjac will most likely be the Quarry. That will depend on where I can get some outings booked in. Also not having access to my rifles complicates matters some what but I am sure we can sort something out eventually. As yet I have never stalked or hunter Red Deer so we shall have to wait ans see what the future brings.

.223, have you chronoed that load at 2302 fps in your rifle, or is that an estimated figure ?

Mike Norris explains his views on "heavy for calibre" bullets on youtube at:

At 7'40" he describes using the 180 grain Sierra Gameking exclusively in their 18" barreled .308 "Ratel" rifles giving a velocity of 2500 fps.

Its great that you have found a load that you are happy with, but I would also be cautious about recommending that particular load to anyone else.

You can download the 2012 Lovex load manual from http://www.lhs-germany.de/uploads/media/LOVEX_Reloading-Guide_by_Explosia_2012_01.pdf

You will find very detailed load information for eight different 180 grain bullets in .308, and the maximum loads given for S065 powder vary from 42.4 to 44.0, typically 43.2 grains. These are all compressed loads, i.e. may be sensitive to small variations in seating depth. "Recommended" loads (start loads ?) are 40.1-40.9 grains.

So your load of 44.3 grains, with a magnum primer, should definitely be worked up to carefully, IMHO.

Last edited:
It's really surprising how many do NOT know the law here :eek:. It's amazing that many retain their certificates.

bit harsh.
I dont shoot red deer in New Zealand and would probably be miles off in guessing their minimum calibre/energy/velocity/weight requirements

no different to shooting "x" in England vs Scotland

but then I have a .270 which as we all know is known globally as the expected calibre for fox through plains game!
such considerations have never been my concern!

why paul ?? because of the low speed??

Exactly, the lower speed means the arc of flight is a bit more exagerated and the drop off past zero is scary. If the rifle is never going to throw past 100m from say high seats in woodland with a likely chance of light brush and twigs meeting the bullet on route then actually it's a smart load, ideal for all deer and pigs but lets be honest there's nothing here it wouldn't level.

I'd fancy it for most woodland high seat work if that's all it was for and confined to England

bit harsh.
I dont shoot red deer in New Zealand and would probably be miles off in guessing their minimum calibre/energy/velocity/weight requirements

no different to shooting "x" in England vs Scotland

but then I have a .270 which as we all know is known globally as the expected calibre for fox through plains game!
such considerations have never been my concern!

Sorry but I don't see it being harsh. Every BASC member was issued with a members pack as I recall and in there was a little booklet which had the game laws in it. P-H also printed it in their catalogues. The poster can use a computer one assumes as they are posting on here. Just how many seconds would it take to type in a search to check?

Also other shooting organisations also give out info with their members packs I believe. However it seems many are just too idle to find out for them selves plus New Zealand is not just a few hours drive exactly is it? It's the other side of the globe. Not exactly a fair comparison old boy.

Surprisingly a lot of places just listed calibres allowed and sometimes minimum barrel length.

Hi Sharpie, Many thanks for your observations. Please note that the loads given for lovex are using the heavy/ slightly lower capacity sellier and bellot cases and their load data reflects this. The load that we use in the Ratel Rifles is through the tight bored barrels prduced for us by border barrels ans thus we acheive 2500fps easily. Daves browning bore is on the large side of nominal and as such produces lower pressures, ergo velocities than our proprietory dimensioned tubes. Using a winchester case the 180 grain sierra can be seated ontop of up to 46.0frains of lovex SO65, and still give pressures 300 bar below p/max pressure.This is data we have obtained through testing and as always we reccomend that a load is carefully worked up in 0.3 of a grain increments. Given the cases that were being used and the loose nature of the bore being used this is not a HOT load by any means. Bourne out by the velocity acheived. Velocity is a direct result of pressure attained.

I hope this gives some insight into the matter, Yours respctfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris custom Rifles

H
Sorry but I don't see it being harsh. Every BASC member was issued with a members pack as I recall and in there was a little booklet which had the game laws in it. P-H also printed it in their catalogues. The poster can use a computer one assumes as they are posting on here. Just how many seconds would it take to type in a search to check?

Also other shooting organisations also give out info with their members packs I believe. However it seems many are just too idle to find out for them selves plus New Zealand is not just a few hours drive exactly is it? It's the other side of the globe. Not exactly a fair comparison old boy.

Surprisingly a lot of places just listed calibres allowed and sometimes minimum barrel length.

Brit sometimes you make some good points and clearly you know your stuff , but the manor in which you post them is often rude , I doubt if it were face to face you'd address people the same .

the guys just stating he's pleased with his new load , he's got no worrys about loosing his ticket , he's confirmed it's perfectly legal for his targeted species . And calling people "bone idle" is just rude , frankly no one needs to hear it.

Back