Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1871 Mauser 11*60 mm Cavalry carbine

1871 Mauser 11*60 mm Cavalry carbine

Old Neilo again,
    Hi there my friends, 18 months back I found a burnt rifle in the ashes of an old house fire. At the time I did not Know what it was, every thing was like a solid piece of rust. After spraying it with WD40 each night and tapping all moving parts with a soft hammer the action now works and is able to be removed. all that is missing is the but plate and barrel band release clip.

After a lot of browsing on the net I found that it was a 1871 Mauser single shot Cavalry Carbine
    built in 1881 or 1887 the serial is 8785 E, FW. many of the proof marks are badly rusted as is the bore, however the rifling is strong. The trigger now moves but the spring in the bolt has no tension, as well as the trigger spring.

the bolt has a different set of numbers but all numbers on the rifle including the barrel ring and nose guard match I intend it to go to my gunsmith and get it cleaned up and I am looking for a replacement stock, butt plate, barrel ring Spring clip and ejector spring.

I then intend to Make it a wall hanger, any information about this old black powder rifle will be appreciated

Thanks in advance Neilo
    Last edited by Neilo; 19-11-2012 at 07:01.

I have an 1871 infantry rifle and three Model 71/84 tubular magazine-fed rifles. I have hunted with the 11mm Mauser using bullets from an RCBS bullet mold and 4831 for the powder. Information about the 1871 and 71/84's is on the NET.

You may have some difficulty finding a carbine stock. I know I would, here. There may be an aftermarket source but it would be obscure and probably expensive. Good luck with the restoration.~Muir

Addendum: You said that you were going to make it a wall hanger: good. Burned rifles should never be shot tho with black powder only this rifle may be OK. FYI, you can lathe turn the rim on 348 Winchester brass to to the Mauser "A" base and then form the 11x60R from them. It's work but cheaper than other makes. Oddly, Lee makes dies for it as a standard item.
    Last edited by Muir; 19-11-2012 at 17:13.

HI Muir,
    Well mate the thanks for the info. I have found out that these rifles are are as rare as Rockinghorse Poo. There may be a few wall hangers around and the Australian war memorial has 2 one one display and one in storage.

There are 3 in the states and a couple in South America, but they are wanting a lot of dollars for them. If I can't get a stock to copy I will make a skeleton outline of one as it will only ever be a wall hanger. I have found out that it came with a family from England and it was in either the Boer war or WW1. They were not sure as it was her grandfathers gun

By the way I have also found out that the markings on the Butt plate will give the history of where those early 71's including yours.

AGAIN THANKS MATE, NEILO
    Last edited by Neilo; 20-11-2012 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
    HI Muir,
    Well mate the thanks for the info. I have found out that these rifles are are as rare as Rockinghorse Poo. There may be a few wall hangers around and the Australian war memorial has 2 one one display and one in storage.

There are 3 in the states and a couple in South America, but they are wanting a lot of dollars for them. If I can't get a stock to copy I will make a skeleton outline of one as it will only ever be a wall hanger. I have found out that it came with a family from England and it was in either the Boer war or WW1. They were not sure as it was her grandfathers gun

By the way I have also found out that the markings on the Butt plate will give the history of where those early 71's including yours.

AGAIN THANKS MATE, NEILO
    The long rifles were imported to the US by the millions; especially the later 71/84's. When I was a kid you could find them unfired, new, in a barrel in the local hardware store. The rifle was $12 (if I recall correctly) and a packet of paper-patched military ammo was $1.50. Canadian smokeless "Dominion" ammo was $5 a box. Guys bought them as cheap hunting rifles. I have a Spandau-Arsenal, 1888 dated hardware store rifle, unfired as of yet. They are remarkably accurate rifles when fed the right ammunition. I had a full sporter that I mounted a nice 1905 Krag rear sight on that was MOA accurate with stiff smokeless loads. Killed a very nice mule deer with it. Much of the internal works of that rifle are still available here from parts retailers. Have fun with it!~Muir

Thanks for putting Simon on to me, He sent me a picture of my carbine
    and has told me that he may be able to make me a new stock "Wow I am
    impressed"

Thanks mate, Neilo

hey, just wondering if you would part with this? look forward to hearing from you. cheers!

Like, Whoa Dude! I think sumbuddy is going to ask you to go to the Introduction thread and introduce yourself before you hit up Neilo for his Mauser.~Muir

haha sorry man...not usually into groups....i was have been researching for two days and was excited to come across this , i actually found a stock in the woods and through the research concluded that it was this rifle....wanted to try and piece it together for a wall hanger...

Quote Originally Posted by 1871mauser View Post
    haha sorry man...not usually into groups....i was have been researching for two days and was excited to come across this , i actually found a stock in the woods and through the research concluded that it was this rifle....wanted to try and piece it together for a wall hanger...
    That's great. I hope you two can come together on it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 1871mauser View Post
    If you join Canadian Gun Nuts and keep an eye on the antique section of the buy and sell you'll find one local. It'll probably cost less than the shipping costs from Australia.

Bye the way, welcome to SD , AB