Teckels Down Under

mchughcb

A hunting teckel from down under, hunting the mighty sambar plus a fallow from last weekend :tiphat:.

She's only 2 years old but been hunting for 18 months and is finally working out what this deer stalking is all about.

Sambar can weigh up to 300kg + and can take several hours to carry out piece by piece.

Enjoy.

Has your dog been accredited via any German hunting trial means as outlined in your article in the recent ADA magazine?

No. All training done by myself. But if you know anybody that runs the accreditation in Victoria I'd be interested to know.

Very interesting.
Do you know the tests these loveable wee rogues of dogs have to do to be accredited,out of interest.

Chris george dont tell me your going to a german test via Germany the Red Diesel tank will be well and trulty empty :rofl:.

Mchugh some nice pictures there mate any videos of the dog working at all.

ha ha so your little ripper, she is a dachshund eh!
Not that I care either way at all mind you.

This seems a bit like the Draathars V GWP`s argument depending on which side of the fence one is breeding them from. One bloke tells me a GWP is a patch on a Draathar....wtf?

Mchugh some nice pictures there mate any videos of the dog working at all.

Not really into the filming while stalking yet, as I generally hunt quite thick forest and don't have time to film and shoot. However this gives you an indication of how she hunts. She put up a sambar deer at 10m in some river flats that thought we'd pass by but couldn't get a shot. She then led me on a game trail but unfortunately it was a kangaroo but you get the idea of how she hunts. I trust her nose now. If she's determined to walk some game trail then its fresh. I just double check to make sure the deer tracks look fresh as well, then proceed with high alertness.

We shot a sambar earlier that morning and I'd missed one the dog took me to so with a bit of time back at camp we setup a liver drag over a 150m aged 30 minutes and the dog passed with flying colours.

Some of those teckels look great. I have been after one for a while but the price of one here in the UK is borderline criminal. When the value of a good WORKING home is put below that of monetary value it is the top of a very slippery slope.

My swedish mates who have the wirehair variety have sent me their test which his dog has passed.

The Swedish test is 600mtrs @ minimum 12 hours old useing 2dl blood, 4 right agle turns a backtrack and 2 parts of the track, 15-20mtrs with no blood plus reaction to shot near the end. The dog must find the shot sight in an area of 25x25 mtrs.

Have you trained your dog to that standard yet? If you want to see a proper Taxen (swedish for Dachshund) you should see Doghounds (post#4) taxen track. Basic taining by me and polished by Doghound.

Get that dog of yours hunting Swedish style and enjoy the hunt.

Some of those teckels look great. I have been after one for a while but the price of one here in the UK is borderline criminal. When the value of a good WORKING home is put below that of monetary value it is the top of a very slippery slope.

Why do you think that because a teckle costs alot it won't go to a good working home? A teckle pup here will cost you £1000 and most go to good working homes.

The Swedish test is 600mtrs @ minimum 12 hours old useing 2dl blood, 4 right agle turns a backtrack and 2 parts of the track, 15-20mtrs with no blood plus reaction to shot near the end. The dog must find the shot sight in an area of 25x25 mtrs.

Have you trained your dog to that standard yet? If you want to see a proper Taxen (swedish for Dachshund) you should see Doghounds (post#4) taxen track. Basic taining by me and polished by Doghound.

Get that dog of yours hunting Swedish style and enjoy the hunt.

No. For Swedish style hunting in Sweden I use a Swedish dog. And in the end I stalked the moose wearing my harkila jacket without a dog and dropped a young bull moose with a busted arse husqvarna with norma ammo and an aimpoint offhand at 100m.

Last edited:
Well I seemed to have accidently deleted everything so I'll repost last couple of years hunting with the wee dugs.

Back